Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad News for Tulane  (Read 1864 times)

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Bad News for Tulane
« on: December 08, 2005, 07:47:45 PM »

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bad News for Tulane
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 07:52:01 PM »
I suspect the law school will be ok, but ow, about the medical school. I know someone who was a first-year medical student there... no telling what that's going to do to the school and students, but I know she supposed to be moving back to continue.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 07:57:55 PM »
i certainly hope so for the people there , but this will effect everyone.  $100mm in cuts and
"The kinds of changes they are likely to make would be the most significant restructuring of any American college or university in the last century."

AndyJay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 10:51:09 AM »
According to a post on the Tulane Law School discussion board, the TLS dean is stating that the drastic measures are largely confined to the undergraduate and medical programs. This is big news for Tulane, but will likely impact the law school minimally (depending on whether you feel like taking the comment from the dean at his word).

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 10:56:08 AM »
Perhaps, but drastic cuts elsewhere in the university will surely resonate everywhere, the law school included.  This is the kind of thing where it's tough for all.

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 12:27:05 PM »
if youre a professor debating whether to stay, this type of thing could easily convince you to leave.  likewise, it scares away tons of applicants.  ls is a big investment/risk as it is, the last thing id want is to wonder whether my $100k+ is going to be devalued by factors out of my control.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 06:12:30 PM »
I concur. I remember (and someone correct me if I am wrong) that the Army Corps of Engineers is hoping to have the New Orleans levies repaired to withstand category 3 hurricanes. But if another hurricane of category 4 or greater hits, which is a possibility given that hurricanes have been unusually prevalent and strong over the past few years, the school could be in for another severe pounding. This has got to be a concern for any student.

Short term effects on Tulane will probably by a drop in applicants, but I don't know what the effects will be long term.

I've seen that some scientists regard New Orleans as virtually indefensible against the sea over the next few decades. Maybe it is time for radical measures, like gradual withdrawal from the city and reconstruction in a geographically safer place.  New New Orleans? It doesn't have quite the same ring to it though  :(

likewise, it scares away tons of applicants.  ls is a big investment/risk as it is, the last thing id want is to wonder whether my $100k+ is going to be devalued by factors out of my control.