Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interesting article on managing student debt  (Read 650 times)

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Interesting article on managing student debt
« on: December 08, 2005, 06:31:46 PM »
http://www.dcbar.org/for_lawyers/washington_lawyer/october_2004/debt.cfm

Especially:

"Borrowers may also sign up for graduated repayment plans that keep payments to a minimum in the first two or three years of the loan and increase in later years. For example, a borrower with $80,000 in debt at an interest rate of 2.87 percent would pay $192 in monthly loan payments in the first three years of the loan, under the graduated repayment plan. Those in the standard repayment program would pay $332 a month. Of course, the graduated plan costs you more ($122,018) over 30 years than the standard plan ($119,489)."

Doable, I wonder if there is a penalty for early repayment on consolidated, graduated loan repayments.

Also anyone know if loan repayment programs from law schools can be combined with federal government plans?

Man, I'm not even in law school yet...  I need to relax.
Duke 2009

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting article on managing student debt
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 11:13:01 PM »
great article, thanks for posting it!

and imho, it isn't too early to start figuring out what to do about the (potential) debt, what you end up deciding now about your personal priorities could well influence the school/fin aid package you decide to accept in a month, or three.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting article on managing student debt
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 09:32:07 AM »
What strikes me most about that example is that it's over 30 years (!!!!!!). Yike.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split