Law School Discussion

Schools Taking Longer this Year

lovelovelovenyc

Re: Schools Taking Longer this Year
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 12:01:53 PM »
Well for the 2003-2004 cycle, decisions were not listed on LSN until:

Penn 12/15
Columbia 12/13 (and then only 3 before mid Jan)
NYU 12/1 (but not too many before the first of the year)

I think last year was just early/lucky

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 12:07:38 PM »
The happy explanation would be that it's somehow related to a meaningfully lower app volume, but I doubt it.

I was thinking that there might be MORE apps this year... the volume went down for top schools last year, but perhaps it's bounced back up?

Egad! Stop with the hexes!

Okay, okay!  If it helps, Columbia ED applicants reporting on LSN has decreased to 33 this year, from 51 last.  They are, however, of better quality... roughly the same amount have an index of 4.1 or higher.

On last year's admissions:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1124442310354

Maybe that explains the speediness last year?  They expected more apps?

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »
Relax, you're not.

That this is the reason for the delay is even more compelling if you accept that the economy is the major determinant of application volume, since those with strong applications are also those most likely to get jobs.  Therefore, strong economy = strong students taking banking/consulting jobs = less strong law applications (the chief exception being those who know they'll go to law school eventually and apply now with the intent of deferring--you can generally tell those by LSN, the ones who apply to only HSYC etc).  So, as long as law class sizes stay the same and schools have to admit the same number of kids, a less competitive applicant pool means schools have no choice but to admit less competitive people (compared to previous years).  Hence waiting longer than last year to see if more, 'better' people apply makes sense.

The bottom line, though, is that, like everything else on this board, this is just speculation.  

But talking about mysterious objects and practices in stressful situations demystifies them, makes people feel better, and gives bored people something to do.  

So, please, forward with the theories!

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 12:26:48 PM »
But that doesn't mean you wouldn't try to snap up people who are at or above your ideal candidate.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 12:29:26 PM »
No, but the admissions histories of NYU, Penn, and Columbia suggest that all three schools get back to the bulk of their early action/decision applicants at the same time.  Your suggestion requires that the schools inform the 'best' of the early's first.  Maybe Georgetown is the only top school that does this.

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 01:30:04 PM »
I hate this board. Until I came here I thought that I wouldn't hear back from EA places until the last week or so of December, and not from others until March or April.  Then maybe I'd be studying for finals instead of haunting LSD.