Law School Discussion

Schools Taking Longer this Year

Schools Taking Longer this Year
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:32:21 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but it really seems like many T14 schools are taking longer this year to send out decisions... I know my three loves--NYU, Columbia and Penn--sure are! 

Last year:
4. Columbia- Accepted: 12/01/04       Rejected: 12/10/04
5. NYU- Accepted: 12/01/04       Rejected: 12/3/04
7. Penn- Accepted: 12/05/04       Rejected: 12/2/04

This year:
Nada, except one awesome URM guy got a phone call from Penn (http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=JesseJackson).

Any thoughts on what may be causing the delay?

Steve Butabi

• and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
Re: Schools Taking Longer this Year
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 11:43:51 AM »
a shared desire to make everyone's head explode

bewitched

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 11:46:37 AM »
I agree. I'm sure the mailman thinks I'm stalking him! I wait anxiously by the window and check my email obsessively when I should be, oh I don't know, studying for exams?

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:48:16 AM »
The happy explanation would be that it's somehow related to a meaningfully lower app volume, but I doubt it.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 11:52:03 AM »
I think schools do set specific deadlines for themselves for when they get back to applicants, so I doubt that the difference between this year and last is because of "well plus or minus a week is the amount of time variation you'd expect in a hectic office."

But if you accept this--i.e. that schools are deliberately getting back later than last year--the statistic doesn't mean much without comparing it to previous years.  For all you know NYU's and Columbia's response time last year may have been uncharacteristically quick, and what we have right now is the norm.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 11:54:05 AM »
The happy explanation would be that it's somehow related to a meaningfully lower app volume, but I doubt it.

I was thinking that there might be MORE apps this year... the volume went down for top schools last year, but perhaps it's bounced back up?

ChlorasepticRelief

• Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 11:56:23 AM »
quick... knock on wood!

I hope legapp's not right :(

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 11:57:09 AM »
I don't think that's likely.  So long as undergrad class sizes remain the same, the biggest determinant of the volume of apps is the economy (i.e. more jobs available, less grad students), which is doing very well.

I assume the logic of the earlier post is that fewer applications would likely mean fewer good applications, but the class size stays the same, so schools wait longer to see if more applicants apply before admitting those with lesser numbers from last year.

john83

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 11:57:30 AM »

I was thinking that there might be MORE apps this year... the volume went down for top schools last year, but perhaps it's bounced back up?

i've heard apps are down nationally as much as 5% from some admissions folks.

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 11:58:18 AM »

Egad! Stop with the hexes!