Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Let's predict which LSD'ers will be gunners next year  (Read 4116 times)

thescreed

Re: Let's predict which LSD'ers will be gunners next year
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 12:02:58 PM »
Forgive me, I'm in the dark on some LSD speak.  What is a gunner?

Umm, I think it's someone who's always trying to answer in class, you know the suck-up, you know the person who's read three or four classes ahead... basically the guy/girl you didn't like b/c they felt a constant need to prove how much smarter they are than everyone else. I could be wrong though.

so, basically, it is an insufferable know it all kind of guy. 

I've always thought that the key to being a gunner is not only being an insufferable know-it-all, but also being a moron. People who are constantly raising their hands to show off how clever they are, but only reveal that they don't get it, are the true gunners, I think.

The "insanely prepared, blow the curve" definition of gunner only exists at crappy schools, where the bulk of the students are mediocre and haven't grasped the idea that if you are going $100,000 in debt for a graduate degree, it might be worth your while to work hard at it and learn something. I would take 100 "insanely prepared" gunners over one hung-over jerk who sneers because someone actually did the assigned reading.

Chitown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »
I thought a gunner was simply a tool.  I.E., open definition.  It's just someone who people think sucks due to some sort of classroom behavior, whether it's asking stupid questions or asking questions to have their ego stroked.  One is a gunner simply if others think they are a gunner, whatever the cause.  It's just a label.  Just because that cannister over in the corner says "toxic waste" on it, doesn't mean one can define what's in it.
Definitely In: Chicago-Kent, Loyola, Indiana (Bloomington), DePaul, George Mason
Definitely Out:
Scott McClellan: Illinois

skaiserbrown

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 01:18:36 PM »
i would be the most halfassed gunner ever.

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 01:31:45 PM »
I'm so totally a gunner. I've been one in every class in k-garten, so why stop once I get to law school?
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America

Slow Blues

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 02:03:24 PM »
How about these:

gunner : a person exhibiting any of a number of in-class behaviors generally regarded as obnoxious by his/her peers.

sniper : a person who generally reserved, if not taciturn in a classroom setting, yet achieves marked academic success.

grinder : individual that is less intelligent than his/her peers, yet achieves comparable or superior grades by working three times as hard.

grunt : the perennial C/C+ student; does just enough to avoid failure and no more.

plankton : any individual in over his/her head. Identified by clueless questions, and utterly lacking any understanding or knowledge of the subject at hand. See Mike Brown, former head of FEMA.

I have too much free time @ work.

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 02:05:43 PM »
I'm not quite a gunner by that def. - perhaps extremely extroverted, Type A personailty, ookworm is a better descritpion. Thouh, in most senses, I'm an ultimate gunner.

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 02:14:17 PM »
I know. Sad, huh?

SkullTatt

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 02:17:15 PM »
I have always been one of those students in class who speaks up constantly, to the point where many classes have devolved into conversations between me and the professor.

I am also completely obsessive and plan to study so hard in law school that I may risk injury or death.

So, someone do everyone else a favor and kill me before I get to law school, Jesus Christ will reward you in the afterlife.

skaiserbrown

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
How about these:

I'd add -
Covert Gunner: a person that sits in the back, prepares well, doesn't respond to questions, waits for someone to mess up and then shoots them down/crushes their argument.

I'm so totally a gunner. I've been one in every class in k-garten, so why stop once I get to law school?

How many times were you in kindergarten?