Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Let's predict which LSD'ers will be gunners next year  (Read 4162 times)

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Let's predict which LSD'ers will be gunners next year
« on: December 08, 2005, 10:32:10 AM »
OK, we all know what gunners are, and the more posts I read the more I think I can pick out who will qualify as class-A gunners next year. My guess? Boblaw, Latinlord...
feel free to make your guesses.

EDIT: as I'm not trying to intentionally hurt anyone's feelings, please take this in good fun.

Steve Butabi

• Sr. Citizen
  • and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
Re: Let's predict which LSD'ers will be gunners next year
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:34:39 AM »
tfm
pm me if you're a hottie and you want to make out or whatever

sarmstrong806

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:36:06 AM »
Court won't be one, but she'll have to fight the urge damn hard.

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 10:39:21 AM »
BassDesire, John Galt, and Vannabunny (if she were going next year)

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 10:42:04 AM »
Forgive me, I'm in the dark on some LSD speak.  What is a gunner?

Slow Blues

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 10:47:19 AM »

Umm, I think it's someone who's always trying to answer in class, you know the suck-up, you know the person who's read three or four classes ahead... basically the guy/girl you didn't like b/c they felt a constant need to prove how much smarter they are than everyone else. I could be wrong though.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 10:47:36 AM »

Gunners are the people that try to answer every question and try to be insanely prepared, so much so that they are annoying.

Someone add on to that.

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:50:42 AM »
ahhh, thanks everyone.

BassDesire, John Galt, and Vannabunny (if she were going next year)

nah, they seem too cool.  i feel that the gunners will come from certain other law school discussion sites.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:52:37 AM »
I've always thought of gunners as the overly-aggressive suck-ups. Sort o a combionation: they obnoxiously know the answers and try to suck up, as well. Think Hermione Granger, but not necessarily as genuinely bright.

I'd probably try to be obnoxiously prepared if only because I'm paranoid. Once I get to law school I'm sure I'll feel a compulsion to do much much better than my coasting in undergrad.

LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Slow Blues

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 10:53:39 AM »
Although I am certainly showing my own ignorance here, I'm curiouys what definition we're using for "gunner."  I've heard conflicting opinions on what a gunner is.  Some say that gunners are those overly-agressive students who study too much, answer every question in class (always correctly and usually with more detail than you knew was possible) and correct other students in class if they are even the tiniest bit incorrect.

However, I have heard others say that guners are not those who add substantively to the discussion, but rather those who try to get points by sucking-up endlessly; who don't give answers but constantly ask questions (often tangentical to the topic); who drop the names of books they have read and judges they have met at every occaision without giving any indication that they've actually read anything on the case at hand.

So, which definition are we using (or is there yet a third defintion of which I am unaware)?

I guess the first definition?

I'd rather be a sniper, the guy who sits in the last row of the class, never asks a single question, nobody knows who he/she is, and gets nothing but straight A's.