Law School Discussion

challandler

« on: December 07, 2005, 07:36:24 AM »

Slow Blues

Re: How do people find out about specific programs?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »
A little old, but still the authority I think:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/faculty/2002faculty_topchoices.shtml

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 10:33:59 AM »
I would suggest making some phone calls. If you know people in a particular field that in some way relates to the law, they will likely either know which schools are best or know someone who does.

I have been having a similar problem because the area of law in which I am most interested (administrative/regulatory) seems to only be ranked as it applies to enviornmental law. I'm interested in health care regulatory stuff, so neither the admin law nor health law (which is mostly medicaid or malpractice) rankings are particularly helpful for me. I asked around a bunch and got some recommendations.

That said, most of the advice that I got was pretty much the same- law school curriculum is  very general and you won't get into the areas of specialization (at least for what I want to do) until you're out of school and in the real world. Since I have my head in the federal register and the code of federal regulations virtually 24 hours a day as it is, I am now planning to just take a break from it for 3 years and hope I still enjoy it when I'm done with school.

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 07:02:28 AM »
If you're looking to go into academia, forget about specialties and just go to the best possible school you can get into.  Any advantage you get through having been through a better speciality program will be far overshadowed if it isn't at a top school.  The T14 and maybe Texas, Vandy, USC and UCLA are built for academia.  Plus you'll need stellar grades.