Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: financial hold on transcript  (Read 4849 times)

patchpixel

• View Profile
financial hold on transcript
« on: July 12, 2004, 07:34:31 PM »
Hi! I have a frustrating situation and I'm afraid it will really ruin my chance of getting into law school. First of all I did my freshman year at a school were I earned only a 2.9 then I transferred and graduated from the new school cum laude. I can't remember what my GPA was but I think it was around a 3.4 or something. I have a financial hold on the school that I graduated from. I owe them about 15 grand and there is no way they will release my transcipts. I registered with LSAC and I was told that as long as I have transcripts from at least one school they will be able to process my score. I also went to grad school for social work, have been working for the past 5 years and I did an evening graduate certificate program at night that I completed in 2001. I'm just really worried that all the admissions people will have access to is my freshman year gpa which is so much lower than my GPA upon graduation. How does it work when you go to 2 different undergrads? Any suggestions - any ideas on how i can get my undergrad that I graduated from to release my transcripts? -Anna

lexylit

Re: financial hold on transcript
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 07:37:24 PM »
you can't do anything without that real transcript-- i think that's your certification that you have an actual BA, so not only would schools only see a 2.9, but they would see a 2.9 dropout as far as i can tell. are you planning on ever paying up or were you just going to let it slide indefinitely?

EnglishToLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bow ties: quintessential legal fashion accessories
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 11:28:01 PM »
Any suggestions - any ideas on how i can get my undergrad that I graduated from to release my transcripts? -Anna

Uh, pay them?

???

Dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 12:56:37 AM »

My dad is the Director of Financial Services at a university and over the years has dealt with loads of students in your situation.
The reality is that the university can only do so much to recover their money. One of the most useful ways to pressure a debtor is to withold his transcript.
From listening to his stories the best advice I can give you (besides paying) is to talk to the guy in charge. Don't settle for someone in Records and Registration. Go talk to the guy that heads up the finance department.
And most importantly DON'T be pushy, angry, or threaten to sue. Present your case and LISTEN to what he tells you.
These guys have a lot of discretion so be as nice as you can.
Don't expect to walk out of the metting with your transcript unless you can put a substantail amount on the table then and there. He may let you work out a payment plan. And then again, he could be so sick of sob stories that he does not care.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 09:27:03 AM »
You can't do anything without that transcript.  Law schools want to see every transcript from every institution you attended.  Perhaps it could slide if you couldn't get the one from the first school with the 2.9 or whatever it was.  But since this is your degree granting school, you really need it.  So I'd try the advice from the poster above or else pay up.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 11:31:11 AM »
You have no degree without that transcript. You have got to get it. See if you can get a loan and a deferrment. Look into it and do whatever you have to. Take this VERY seriously.

I got mono at my first school. They flagged me for 5 classes. I had to leave and couldn't get my transcript to transfer. It was hell. I owed 7Gs and didn't have a penny to my name. I worked for a couple of years to pay that off. By the time I paid it off my student loan was in default. Bye, bye financial aid. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The fact that I am now preparing for law school amazes me.

Even if you have to work for a year to pay it off, remember that you do owe this money. They gave you an education, the least you can do is pay for it.

Use the year wisely and study for the LSAT.

losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 12:32:07 PM »
You're going to have to pay what you owe them.  Not only does the LSDAS need the transcript to compute your grades, but the law school you end up attending will ask for a final transcript showing that you graduated before you can register for classes.  There are lots of loans out there for past-due school balances.  The one I used was www.teri.org.

I would clear this up.  You can take out a loan with TERI for a past-due balance and then defer it while you're in law school.  Why would you not have paid this though?  I had a past-due balance because of financial problems my senior year in undergrad, but I took out the past-due balance loan from TERI around graduation time and have paid what I could before law school starts and I defer.

Also, you have to pass a character and fitness evaluation to be admitted to the bar.  They DO check education loans and such, so I'm sure they'd find out you owe your undergrad money.  I doubt this would look very good when they evaluate you, and if you aren't admitted to the bar, then you've wasted 3 years in law school and all the debt you incur there.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

patchpixel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 09:49:16 PM »
Thanks for the few helpful suggestions that were posted. I really didn't appreciate those of you who suggested that i just pay the 15 grand back - if it were that easy don't you think I would just do that?! Anyway - rather than get defensive, I'll just take the helpful advice I received.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 01:49:35 AM »
How can you say that you don't appreciate any suggestions. It seems like people are just making you aware of your situation. Take it for what it is, constructive and honest. Remember, people take time out to reply, respect that. It is understandable that this will be a financial burden. To dismiss honest replies simply because they are not what you want to hear is immature.

I hope that you can resolve your transcript situation favorably but.... You still have to consider the possibility that it won't.

What then? Are you going to give up on your dream. Rarely what you want is just handed to you. If you accept this situation as an obstical and overcome it, you will be stronger for it.

losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

EnglishToLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bow ties: quintessential legal fashion accessories
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 02:38:10 PM »
My post did sound sarcastic. I didn't mean it that way, so my apologies. I can at least be civil.

Even if you have to take out a personal loan to pay off the school, it would be worth it. Maybe even max out some cards, then consolidate. Do you have bad credit? If it were only a couple hundred bucks, or even a few thousand, I could see working around it, but that's, like, a lot of bread, girlfriend.

Sorry.

:(