Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR--Reading the question stem first? PR vs. Powerscore methods....  (Read 212 times)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
Since I started practicing a month or so ago, I have been reading the question stem first in LR questions. I believe this may be the strategy PR suggests. I came across Powerscore's technique, saying to absolutely avoid reading the question stem first. I find that reading the stem first helps me quite a bit, as I do fine this way, averaging 3 wrong per LR section.

I really don't buy any of Powerscore's objections to this method, except for perhaps that it wastes more time. How do you all approach LR?

Secondly, in diagramming linear LG's, the PR suggests that you kind of make a table and fill in your work for all of the questions in separate rows in that table. Just keep on adding a row for each question. Powerscore suggests to redraw the whole thing for each question. I've been following Powerscore's method to see if it works, but I feel like PR's method takes less time and helps you see all of the connections, as your work for the question is right beneath the main setup with all the not-laws, etc filled in. Furthermore, it takes less space, since there is not always enough space next to questions to re-create the diagram.

What diagramming methods do you use mostly with linear and other games?

Just thought I'll see what the consensus is, but as usual, I ended up putting in a bunch of extraneous information: so basically what are your preferred  LR and LG techniques?

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LR--Reading the question stem first? PR vs. Powerscore methods....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 02:11:49 AM »
i use powerscore's methods for both ways. But if reading the stem works for you, keep on with it. i don't think there's a better way regarding that.

However i do subscribe fully to Powerscore's methods for LG. Possibly/probably because the Powerscore Bibles were the main focus of my prep besides practice tests. i can see though that the method you describe might work.. oh well, sorry i don't have much of substance to add here.
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 02:27:04 AM »
Thanks as usual. how helpful do you think the LR bible was?

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 02:35:43 AM »
it was very helpful. when i first took diagnostic tests i did surprisingly well on the LR versus games or RC and i thought i'd wasted money buying the LR bible. But after going through it, i'm really glad i got it. It helped me understand some of the problems i had trouble with (Read: PARALLEL REASONING) and other difficult problems like assumptions changed into very easy ones. i went through both bibles several times and i'm glad i did. just sorry there isn't an equivalent RC on, although i can see how a technique for RC is just harder to develop. anyways, the LR bible has my recommendations, despite my initial thoughts that i didn't need it.
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.