Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fitness for the Bar... worrying way too far in advance  (Read 693 times)

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Fitness for the Bar... worrying way too far in advance
« on: July 12, 2004, 04:10:10 PM »
Just for kicks (masochistic, I guess), I decided to check the Bar application for the State of Colorado. Noticed that I'd have only one not-so-good thing to tattle on myself for when I apply in 2008, and that would be the speeding ticket I got last summer in a little town just off the where I came flying off the interstate at 75 mph and hadn't quite slowed down (though I did come to a stop at the town's one and only stop sign) enough when I entered the town's radar range, so I was doing 45 in a 25 zone. Ugh. $80 fine.

Anyway, here is the one question I have about the inquisition:

41. Have you ever been a plaintiff or defendant in any litigation, excluding criminal proceedings.  Provide copies of the original Complaint and final executed disposition for each.  If YES, duplicate and complete the RECORD OF CIVIL ACTIONS page, which follows for EACH instance in which you have been named as either a defendant or plaintiff.

Fourteen years ago this fall, I was served in a lawsuit that was about someone that was not me, just happened to have the same name. I was able to prove that I was not the individual involved (had to provide college transcripts, etc., because I was living and going to school in another state at the time in question), and I was not the intended defendant. At the time it was a real pain in the butt, because I had a newborn child and a toddler, had no money to spare, and had to pay for a motion to quash.

Does this count as a litigation I have to report?

jgruber

Re: Fitness for the Bar... worrying way too far in advance
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 04:12:49 PM »
It says if you were a plaintiff or defendant.  If you were not sued and did not sue anyone, then you were not a plaintiff or defendant.