Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELLO ALL: I'm new here and already PANICKING about October 2nd !!  (Read 1871 times)

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I swear I am about as levelheaded as they come, but I am f-ing panicking already about October.  I am new to this forum, and have a 3.91 GPA (English major/Philosophy minor). I also am 36 years old, with 12 years full-time, solid work experience.  I started college at 33, and have been at it full-time at nights and weekends the last three years while also supporting a family (wife & daughter).  I am South-Asian, but not sure if that qualifies for minority, or means anything in my position.

I just started Kaplan three weeks ago, where my diagnostic (taken cold) was a shockingly low 145. I've been practicing pretty hard now for about two weeks and took a timed prep test (albeit an early one) this past Saturday and scored a 153.  I still have no idea how to get through most grouping games, and struggle with LR.  I have serious timing issues to work out.

I already have every available prep test, and am ready to crank those out (I will be sure to pace myself).  Kaplan has been worthwhile thus far, but it has only been three weeks.

But someone please help me, as I am panicking.  I thought I'd have a good shot at a top-14, but if I took the test today, I wouldn't get into a third-tier. 

Anyone else in the same boat about high expectations (vs. reality)?  Any words of encouragement/advice?  I understand that things are likely to improve from now until Octovber, but I need to get to at least 162-164 (for Fordham at least).

How do you people relax about this *&^%?

jgruber

Re: HELLO ALL: I'm new here and already PANICKING about October 2nd !!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 02:04:43 PM »
145 is your starting point.  Depending on many factors you can improve dramatically.
Don't panic.  There's plenty of time for that later

Lydia

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.5/170/Penn
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kiwigrrl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 02:31:36 PM »

Xanax.

Seriously,  panicking doesn't do you any good.  I know it's easier said than done, but relax, practice, and practice some more.  Also, I don't think a 153 is that low - it certainly won't keep you out of a Tier 3 or even 2 school.  Besides, your work experience and GPA are great.
Vote Kerry Nov. 2! Send Bush to Mars in 2004!

LSATGuru

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 02:53:00 PM »
He said he wants to go to a top 14 school.

You're not the "good" kind of minority as far as getting a step-up in admissions. They call those "URMs" or Under-Represented Minorities.  Those are blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans. 

Consider putting off the October test and doing TestMasters or PowerScore for the December LSAT.  I've heard that Kaplan isn't that good of a course, and that TM & PS are much better.  Check out the comparison: http://www.testmasters180.com/lsat/LSATCourse/CompareFCity.aspx

Xanax.

Seriously,  panicking doesn't do you any good.  I know it's easier said than done, but relax, practice, and practice some more.  Also, I don't think a 153 is that low - it certainly won't keep you out of a Tier 3 or even 2 school.  Besides, your work experience and GPA are great.

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 03:19:10 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  My expectations of getting into a top-14 have met with reality for a few weeks now. I'll settle for a good 2nd tier at this stage. 

I looked into Powercore, but the scheduling wasn't right for me.  I have the LG Bible, and am thinking about the Powerscore weekend course in September, which takes place on the last weekend of the Kaplan. I am trying to figure out if this will help me or hurt me.  I think if it gets me an additional 3-4 points at that stage, it will be worthwhile.

As for taking the Dec. test, I will have little time to go hardcore, as my Senior year UG classes are going to be tough for the first semester. So for me it is prepare now, panic and all.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 04:16:26 PM »
Dont sweat it man i got a 147 on my Kaplan Diagnostic, and ive been doing all my HW and studying daily and i can tell you im getting much more proficient at my responses and reading comp... the games just need a lot of practice to improve.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 06:11:56 PM »
I took my first practice LSAT 3 weeks ago.  I used the Kaplan software from the prep book and got a 154.  I have always done well on standarized tests and am hoping to attend a top 15 law school, so was shocked by my score.  I've only been studying for 3 weeks, but have seen a dramatic increase in score.  After reading through a couple books I was scoring in the low 160s.  I took a previously administered LSAT today and scored a 169.  I am eventually hoping to get a 175 on the final test.  I think your initial score can be improved dramatically with about a month of studying.  After a large increase I think progress will be much slower, but still possible.  Panicking will only hinder your studying, just keep studying and see how you are doing in about 6 weeks.  There are pages of success stories within the posts on this board, spend some time reading through and you will find many more cases of improved scores  :)     
Attending Duke

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 04:26:03 AM »
Panic ususally results when something occurs that you have no control over.  So it is safe to say that rationally you should not panic until you studied so much that you cannot possibly improve anymore.  I panicked too on my first test, until I found this forum and was told time and time again that this test can be learned.  It is a learnable test.  So now you shuold only panio October 1, if you can't get over 160 by then 8)
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..