Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Texas Austin  (Read 5660 times)

txaggie

• View Profile
Re: University of Texas Austin
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2006, 07:15:30 PM »
Why do they prefer to admit TX residents?  I'm from TX, so this is great for me, but could someone explain this to me?
UGPA 3.18 / GGPA 3.9 / LSAT 168
In: UT, UH, UI-UC, UI-B, SMU
Waiting: W&M, George Mason, STCL
WL/Held: None
Out: None

Queen of Miami

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2006, 08:33:33 PM »

A few public schools - notably Michigan - seem to lack any residency preferences.  I think only 25-30% of Michigan students are residents (too lazy to check LSAC at the moment).

That's because all the smart and capable Michigan residents moved to Arizona or Cali :)

Hobert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 12:34:09 PM »
I think UT may start sending out more dings soon (and some acceptances, hopefully).  I called yesterday to follow up on an interview request and was told that the guy went to the post office "to mail some letters".  Now I may be paranoid and totally overthinking it, but I know I'll be anxiously checking my mailbox praying I'm not dinged.

It seems they told you the truth. Someone in the main forum pointed out that this guy got in yesterday:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=MartyMcFly
Super Bowl Champs (Attending): DUKE
TD: Michigan, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, Texas, Vandy, WUSTL
Intentional Grounding(Withdrew): Baylor, Case, Cincy, Emory, Florida, Indiana
INT: None
4th and Goal: Penn, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Hobert

LonghornDUG

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »
Why do they prefer to admit TX residents?  I'm from TX, so this is great for me, but could someone explain this to me?
This is actually written into the state law.  It's not just a school preference.  The legistlature is the one who changed the number to 35% this year -- not the school.  The other thing to remember is that UT only has to meet these numbers over a 10 year "swing", meaning for any given 10 year period, the numbers have to average to 80/20, and now 65/35.

And yes, I would argue that being out-of-state hurts you quite a bit in your chances.  I think it probably slides the LSAT numbers up 2-3 points.