Law School Discussion

dependents v. independents and parents

dependents v. independents and parents
« on: December 05, 2005, 08:50:16 AM »
So, my parents aren't US citizens, hence they have not filed any taxes.  Since I am only two years out of college, I am technically still a dependent, or so I heard.  How can I obtain aid/loans for law school?  Haven't done this before since they paid through college for me but not anymore.


Re: dependents v. independents and parents
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:04:58 PM »
you are dependent if u have been relying on them for financial support for more than half of ure living expenses.  if u are 2 yrs out of school and have been mostly supporting ureself financiall, then u can state independence.  u may have to show proff in the form of ure own tax returns or something proving that u have or make enough money to support at least 51%.


  • ****
  • 419
    • View Profile
Re: dependents v. independents and parents
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 06:27:55 PM »
slp, it also depends what kind of aid you are asking for...if it is federal aid, then OP is probably independent, but for need-based grants from law schools, then OP is probably dependent by most ls standards (need to be self-sufficient for 7 years). don't know what private lenders criteria are (yet).

OP - check with each school's financial aid office, most have a website with this kind of info on it, but the fact that your parents are not US cits puts you in a special category. you may need to call each financial aid office where you are applying to find out how/where you should be applying for aid.

good luck...