Law School Discussion

How to say: Foreign Language

12(e)

• Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
How to say: Foreign Language
« on: December 05, 2005, 08:49:41 AM »
I need help picking the wording for my resume.

I have what is usually referred to as "survival fluency" (at least, that's what the Alliance Francaise calls it), but "survival fluency" makes it sound like I can ask where the bathroom is or how much something costs.

I AM NOT fluent, but I can hold extended conversations in French.  I don't know my official age reading level, so I can't use that.  My skill level is also not accurately represented by the classes I have taken.

Any ideas?  Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?

Thanks.

Steve Butabi

• and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
Re: How to say: Foreign Language
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 08:51:15 AM »
I would put "Proficient"

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 08:52:18 AM »
Typically, the intermediary between elementary/basic and expert/fluent is "proficient."  You do not need to be more specific than this.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 08:54:57 AM »
Proficient, I'd say.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 08:58:37 AM »
Yes... I'd say use it in both situations

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 10:24:05 AM »
On my resume I said "advanced conversational Spanish; fluent in reading and writing." Does that sound alright?

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 10:37:01 AM »
I would say so....it sounds good to me.

Margee, or anyone else: Can I list musical proficiency on my resume that I send to LS? I have my normal one - but I use it mainly to apply for musical-related/theatre jobs

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 11:13:19 AM »
How would one phrase that? Put it in work experience? Or under hobbies?

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 11:38:54 AM »
I may use a CV

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 01:27:57 PM »
I would say so....it sounds good to me.

Margee, or anyone else: Can I list musical proficiency on my resume that I send to LS? I have my normal one - but I use it mainly to apply for musical-related/theatre jobs

I put mine on my resume under "Special Skills and Honors."

I had two resumes already - one for more "normal" jobs, and one for theatre related jobs (my degree is in theatre arts), so I basically just combined the two (with modifications to make it cohesive). I listed music, language, visual art, and technical skills together in that section because my resume looked like crap without it. I invested a lot of time and energy into developing those skills, so even though they aren't directly applicable to law school (I seriously doubt my client will care that I can hang, focus, and program a lighting design) they demonstrate that I haven't just been sitting on my ass.

CV?

Thanks for the idea to put them all in one section. I'll probably do that. And from what I know about CVs, and my theatre resume, they are basically the same thing