Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fox News - Fair and Balanced?  (Read 3671 times)

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
Re: Fox News - Fair and Balanced?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 01:51:27 PM »
Merely that if you don't like the content, you don't have to watch it.  There are plenty of alternatives.

You idiot!  His point is not that he doesn't like the content.  His point is that the content is not fair and balanced.

Seriously, how refreshing is this.  In a discussion about whether something is fair and balanced, you call me an idiot.  Bill O'Reilly, is that you?

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 01:53:47 PM »
how will that change the farness or balance?  this is not a questitn of whether I like the content.  I did not say I did not like the content.  I question whether fox is fair and balanced as they claim they are.

Quote from: swagger link=topic=4805.msg56435#msg56435 dan te=1089654502
IDIOT.

He doesn't like the content because he believes it is not fair and balanced.

If you don't believe the content is fair and balanced, simply change to channel to CNN, MSNBC, or pick up a newspaper.

I know Fox News has a political bias.  Fox News knows Fox News has a political bias.  Their political bias is specifically designed to counter the political bias of their counterparts. 

superiorlobe

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 01:54:08 PM »
IDIOT.

If you don't believe the content is fair and balanced, simply change to channel to CNN, MSNBC, or pick up a newspaper.

IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT !!!!   >:(

You are making an unwarranted assumption.  Maybe he likes the content a lot but just thinks that it is not fair and balanced.  This is a legitimate claim.  Let's face it: Fox News isn't fair and balanced.  And if they say they are, then they are lying. Please don't read into a post what isn't there.  Maybe he doesn't like the content, though. Doesn't matter. In that case you should still address the fair and balanced point and not address some other issue about what he likes or doesn't like.

And if you don't like what I'm saying you can go read some other post.

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 01:56:04 PM »
So despite all the name calling, we don't even disagree.  We both agree Fox News has a political bias, we both recognize their are alternatives.  What a great discussion.

NeverForever

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 01:57:41 PM »
I can't decide which is funner... superiorlobe's responses or swagger's avatar.

More to the point, no I don't think Fox News is at all balanced. I got a manicure the other day (yeah, yeah, I know) and I was watching Fox News on the TV and got into conversation about news coverage of the Iraq War with this woman next to me. I said that I usually watched CNN just because they didn't seem quite so sensationalized. Well she went on a rant about how CNN is unpatriotic and she actually said, "at least FoxNews is factual" hahaha.

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2004, 01:57:52 PM »
there, not their.  I apologize.

superiorlobe

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2004, 01:57:58 PM »
So despite all the name calling, we don't even disagree.  We both agree Fox News has a political bias, we both recognize their are alternatives.  What a great discussion.

Great.  Your point seems to be that jeffjoe was right all along.  I love to win an argument.   :)

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2004, 01:59:04 PM »
It sounds like you believe that Fox is not fair and balanced.
You'd have to conclude that they are fundamentally dishonest, since they prominently display their slogan while failing to live up to it.

how will that change the farness or balance?  this is not a questitn of whether I like the content.  I did not say I did not like the content.  I question whether fox is fair and balanced as they claim they are.

Quote from: swagger link=topic=4805.msg56435#msg56435 dan te=1089654502
IDIOT.

I know Fox News has a political bias.  Fox News knows Fox News has a political bias.  Their political bias is specifically designed to counter the political bias of their counterparts. 

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2004, 01:59:12 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but where did I say jeffjoe was wrong?  I merely pointed out the alternatives.  That is it.  

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 02:00:07 PM »
You know, jeffjoe, you are right.  It is dishonest.  I take back my earlier post.