Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fox News - Fair and Balanced?  (Read 3450 times)

jgruber

Fox News - Fair and Balanced?
« on: July 12, 2004, 01:34:05 PM »
I just caught about 8 minutes of a Fox news program, where pro-life and pro-choice advocates were dscussing a controversial birth control program.

The host of the show interupted or cut-off the pro-choice advocate four times, and did not interrupt of cut-off the pro-life advocate at all.

superiorlobe

Re: Fox News - Fair and Balanced?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 01:40:53 PM »
I just caught about 8 minutes of a Fox news program, where pro-life and pro-choice advocates were dscussing a controversial birth control program.

The host of the show interupted or cut-off the pro-choice advocate four times, and did not interrupt of cut-off the pro-life advocate at all.

I am pro life. I would consider myself socially conservative and fiscally liberal.  Overall I would say I am more on the conservative end.  However, I detest Rush Limbaugh and I think that Fox News is really lame.  I have also noticed that the hosts cut people off all the time, and it really bothers me.  Their modus operandi seems to be to not allow the opposing viewpoint to even make their point.

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 01:41:48 PM »
Then don't watch.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 01:42:59 PM »
Then don't watch.

What's your point?  In other words, what are you adding to the discussion of this question with your suggstion?

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 01:43:54 PM »
Merely that if you don't like the content, you don't have to watch it.  There are plenty of alternatives.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 01:45:51 PM »
Merely that if you don't like the content, you don't have to watch it.  There are plenty of alternatives.

How does that address the issue?  Fox's slogan is fair and balanced.  How does using other 'news' sources address the apparant contradiction between the slogan and this incident.

superiorlobe

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 01:46:09 PM »

You idiot!  His point is not that he doesn't like the content.  His point is that the content is not fair and balanced.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 01:46:53 PM »

This is why I can't stand watching the news anymore... I have to keep in the back of my head that someone's agenda is getting pushed, and what I see and hear isn't necessarily the truth or real.  And if I think about that too much, I get squigged out.
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »
IDIOT.

He doesn't like the content because he believes it is not fair and balanced.

If you don't believe the content is fair and balanced, simply change to channel to CNN, MSNBC, or pick up a newspaper.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 01:51:09 PM »
how will that change the farness or balance?  this is not a questitn of whether I like the content.  I did not say I did not like the content.  I question whether fox is fair and balanced as they claim they are.

Quote from: swagger link=topic=4805.msg56435#msg56435 dan te=1089654502
IDIOT.

He doesn't like the content because he believes it is not fair and balanced.

If you don't believe the content is fair and balanced, simply change to channel to CNN, MSNBC, or pick up a newspaper.