Law School Discussion

Money v. Happiness: Choosing a School

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Money v. Happiness: Choosing a School
« on: December 04, 2005, 05:43:23 PM »
Because I got lucky and got this decent UG scholarship, I am guaranteed full-tuition for the entire 3 years at Northwestern Law (should I get in).  Sounds great, right?  The catch: I don't want to go to NU!

I don't want to be in Chicago; I don't have a business-focus. I have no work experience.  I'd much rather go somewhere else.  But hey, almost anywhere else and I'll have to pay tons of money (although I don't care that much). 

What would y'all do, given a choice between a decent school you disliked for free and a comparable school you loved with a weak financial aid package?

Ah, the joys of the law school application process.

L19

sck

• View Profile
Re: Money v. Happiness: Choosing a School
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 05:52:59 PM »
You never know, you might get money somewhere else.

Go where you're happy. It seems an easy question to me. If you don't want to go somewhere and you're unhappy there, your grades and your outlook will show it.

2Lacoste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 05:55:24 PM »
I'm there with you.  For me it seems pretty straight-forward.  I'm going to go to the school that will make me most happy.  But I wanted to see if there are those out there that would serious consider the $.  I mean, I wouldn't be entirely unhappy at NU.  Just fairly unhappy lol.

L19

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 06:00:34 PM »
Try and see where else you get in, and where else will offer you $$ - I'm sure other places will.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 06:05:53 PM »
Without a doubt, go where you'd rather be.  It just isn't worth it. 

Actually, if you think about it, it's probably better on ya finacially in the long run to go where you want even if you get $0.  You'll be happier, do better, and this will lead to a better job, and more $$(if that's what you're after) and a happier life.
It's just one big circle of happy ;D

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 06:07:26 PM »
If the answer to this question isn't obvious to you, then I feel sorry.  And I don't mean that in a snide way b/c it takes many people, including myself, a certain amount of time or certain experiences to realize that you need to do what makes you happy.  Everything else will work its way out. 

Go where you're happy.

ChlorasepticRelief

• Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 09:18:26 PM »
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but would you rather be happy in law school and burdened by enormous debt (assuming you don't get a generous package elsewhere) or unhappy in law school with freedom from bone-crushing debt? I'm not in your shoes, but if I were, I would take the free tuition and deal with it... I would thank myself later as my peers worried about paying back $100K+ each. If debt isn't an issue for you as it is for me, then by all means follow your happiness.

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 09:27:58 PM »
With your numbers and a full-ride to NU I would be freezing my ass off in Chicago with a big grin on my face right now. Maybe I'm not understanding this scholarship you were offered. Is it likely you'll get it offered to you elsewhere?

Anyway, a free lawschool education from such a highly ranked school is a HUGE windfall. I say suck it up and go to NU if you don't get any other similar offers.

verbal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 09:34:45 PM »
with your numbers a full ride an nu seems like a gift from god. if i were u i would go to some cubs games, hang out at the house of blues and get my degree from NU. I hear of lots of people moving to DC and Cali as soon as they graduate and making fat cash.  My interviewer moved to Oklahoma when she graduated to work with the army core of engineers. i would rather live somewhere i wasnt crazy about during law school than get stuck having to work somewhere when I graduate.  I would see who lets u in then decide

2Lacoste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 09:43:37 PM »
The scholarship is only to NU.  It doesn't mean, however, that I won't get funds for other schools.

Chances are I'll go somewhere other than NU.  I'm somewhat confident I'll get in to a comparable if not better school that is more to my liking.  Thanks to those who played devil's advocate -- always respectable.

L19