Law School Discussion

MASTER LR LIST - ONLY 4 LEFT!!!

Re: updated master LR list
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2005, 07:57:42 PM »
But it didn't say that there was no bias.  It said that the claim that there is bias on the grounds that the journalists are liberals themselves isn't valid.

Those were two different choices.  It went something like:

With which of the following statements would the advocate be most likely to agree?

A) The fact that journalists themselves have a liberal bias is insufficient to prove that there is a liberal bias in journalism.
B) ...
C) There is no liberal bias in journalism.
D) ...
E) ...

If you look at the passage itself, it says something like, "Many journalists admit to having a liberal bias, so people assume that journalism has a liberal bias.  However, this is not true.  Journalism has to conform to public pressures and appeal to a wide audience, which tends to normalize the political views expressed."

It actually SAYS there is no liberal bias in journalism, so the answer is C.

Correct, and if the views of the media as a whole are normalized then they aren't liberally biased.

Agreed. Definitely C.

jbruin

• Bad...grammar...overload. Error! Error!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2005, 08:08:19 PM »
But it didn't say that there was no bias.  It said that the claim that there is bias on the grounds that the journalists are liberals themselves isn't valid.

With which of the following statements would the advocate be most likely to agree?

A) The fact that journalists themselves have a liberal bias is insufficient to prove that there is a liberal bias in journalism.
B) ...
D) ...
E) ...

If you look at the passage itself, it says something like, "Many journalists admit to having a liberal bias, so people assume that journalism has a liberal bias.  However, this is not true.  Journalism has to conform to public pressures and appeal to a wide audience, which tends to normalize the political views expressed."

Correct, and if the views of the media as a whole are normalized then they aren't liberally biased.

Agreed. Definitely C.

But if I remember correctly, the question asked what the main point of the argument was--not with which statements the author would be most likely to agree.  And, if I'm right about the fact that it was a "main point" question, then the answer would definitely seem to be A, or "The fact that journalists themselves have a liberal bias is insufficient to prove that there is a liberal bias in journalism."  Actually, in retrospect, even if it did ask "With which of the following statements would the advocate be most likely to agree?" I would still think it's A.  Just my opinion.

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005, 08:09:36 PM »
whoa! my question is HOW do you guys remember these questions?
Wolvie?

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2005, 08:10:43 PM »
It was a conclusion question ... and the conclusion was that there is no current liberal bias.

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2005, 08:11:24 PM »
You're right, I think it might have asked for the main point of the argument... but it would still be C.  An author's main point cannot be something with which he or she would not agree.

Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2005, 08:12:12 PM »
i've been sitting here all afternoon because i'm THAT anxious to predict my potential score. so i've just been going off of the questions that most everyone else has recalled...its definitely not all me!

so...we don't have that many more to go. what are we missing? i feel like we should just start tossing random subjects out there, maybe it'll jog our memory.

jbruin

• Bad...grammar...overload. Error! Error!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2005, 08:13:11 PM »
To respectfully disagree, looking at the question as recollected above, the fact that "[journalism's conformity] TENDS to normalize the political views expressed" doesn't support such a strong statement as "There is NO liberal bias in journalism."  IMHO.  By the way, great memory, gwenkern.

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2005, 08:13:39 PM »
I dont know if you've included it or not..
The coin question Heads Judges etc

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2005, 08:14:27 PM »
It was a conclusion question ... and the conclusion was that there is no current liberal bias.

It was definatly a conclusion question.  I went with C (or whatever the letter was)

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2005, 08:15:27 PM »

B) ...
D) ...
E) ...

To respectfully disagree, looking at the question as recollected above, the fact that "[journalism's conformity] TENDS to normalize the political views expressed" doesn't support such a strong statement as "There is NO liberal bias in journalism."  IMHO.  By the way, great memory, gwenkern.

But coupled with the "People assume that journalism has a liberal bias. This is not true," answer C is definitely TCR.