Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I was hoping I wouldn't have to post here  (Read 6826 times)

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
I was hoping I wouldn't have to post here
« on: December 03, 2005, 06:12:24 PM »
But unfortunately I have a horror story. :'(
When I was taking the LSAT today someone's cell phone alarm went off for about a minute.  The proctor kept yelling "Who's is that Who's is that!  You were specifically told not to bring cell phones in here, This is very distracting to the class, I'm gonna find you"  Turned out it was the guy right in front of me but he kept saying it wasn't him and he turned his phone off but when he pulled it out, he discovered his alarm was still on and that's what was ringing.  The proctor was like "I'm gonna have to report this"  but really between her yelling and the phone  ringing i don't know which was more distracting. >:(

As soon as it happened I thought of this board, and smiled and shook my head. ;D

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
Re: I was hoping I wouldn't have to post here
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 07:06:19 PM »
Actually I should have known something like that would have happened because of how my day started. I had to take the train to my test center so I parked my car about 10 blocks away from the station (no parking).  Anywho, I finally make it to the train, buy my ticket and realize I left my ticket in the car.  Now I have to run back to my car, get my ticket, and run back to the train.  By the time I get back to the train station, I miss the train by seconds, SECONDS!  >:( :'(

So now I'm getting anxy like oh man I hope I'm not late but I'm still confident because I left enough time for me to get there on time, it's just now I won't be early.  Stupid me, forgot that trains run on a modified schedule on the weekend, meaning they make an extra stop about 10 mins out of the way.  Long story short, by the time I got to NY I had to ruuuuuun to my test center, ended up getting lost while running, and made it there by the skin on my teeth huffing and puffing.

Anyone who took the test in NY I was the one coughing for the first 10 mins. ;D

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 07:11:42 PM »
I already posted about this but here goes:

One of the proctors fell asleep AND STARTED SNORING durning section 5.

And then during the writing sample, a friend of the other proctor brought her a bag full of fresh hot fast food that you could totally smell throughout the whole room.

I woulda been pissed if she had brought that in during on of the *real* sections.

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 07:51:23 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, if I get a good enough score on the LSAT that I don't need to take it away as a gift I'll give away my LRB and LGB books for free. ;D  So come on you well wisher's we're talking free books here, I'll even pay the s&H fees.  I never wrote in them and the LRB wass practically never used :-\ (shoot! that may have been my problem) :-\

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 11:33:45 AM »
Man. How annoying!

I'm just glad mine was mostly perfect. UT handled it right, and had a big sign out in the hallway where all the tests were happening telling people they'd call security if they were noisy.

Only annoyance? A speaker in the ceiling kept buzzing. Sounded like someone was trying to call a cell phone -- you know, that feedback sound that happens when someone gets a call on a nextel or gsm phone?
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 12:37:38 PM »
June 2004 at Delaware State University, 3-4 proctors in a room of about 250 students...no less than 3 or 4 screw-ups with the time, basically, them saying there was 5 minnutes left when everyone with a watch or timer knew there was 6-7 minutes...this resulted in students actually arguing with the proctors, letting them know the test is competitive around the country, that we deserve correct timing...it got a little ugly for about 2 minutes at the end of one of the sections, then they gave us an extra two minutes, which really, they had taken away by calling the time too soon.  It was chaotic.

Yesterday at Villanova, the administration was great.  The building was super-quiet, the proctors didn't screw around, no time problems.  It was a great experience, comparatively.

cwctz8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 01:25:03 PM »
June 2004 at Delaware State University, 3-4 proctors in a room of about 250 students...no less than 3 or 4 screw-ups with the time, basically, them saying there was 5 minnutes left when everyone with a watch or timer knew there was 6-7 minutes...this resulted in students actually arguing with the proctors, letting them know the test is competitive around the country, that we deserve correct timing...it got a little ugly for about 2 minutes at the end of one of the sections, then they gave us an extra two minutes, which really, they had taken away by calling the time too soon.  It was chaotic.

Yesterday at Villanova, the administration was great.  The building was super-quiet, the proctors didn't screw around, no time problems.  It was a great experience, comparatively.

My proctor had a faulty timer, so she MADE A PHONE CALL in the middle of the fourth section (RC - my critical section) to get a new timer.  She then had no clue how much time was left, so she guessed.  In the end, we were shorted about 3 minutes.  Very crucial to my score, but there's no retaking in February for me... 

cwctz8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 02:18:17 PM »

That's the kind of thing you report to the LSAC, hands down.
They won't do anything about beeping horns, or loud fans, but that's the kind of f-ed up s-t that the LSAC should know about.  Just make sure you do it within 9 calendar days.

What will they do?  Offer me a free retake in February?  That does me absolutely no good for Fall '06 and I can't wait until Fall '07.  Have they ever done anything different than that?

coselmed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 03:56:06 PM »
When I was taking the LSAT today someone's cell phone alarm went off for about a minute.  The proctor kept yelling "Who's is that Who's is that!  You were specifically told not to bring cell phones in here, This is very distracting to the class, I'm gonna find you"  Turned out it was the guy right in front of me but he kept saying it wasn't him and he turned his phone off but when he pulled it out, he discovered his alarm was still on and that's what was ringing.  The proctor was like "I'm gonna have to report this"  but really between her yelling and the phone  ringing i don't know which was more distracting. >:(

As soon as it happened I thought of this board, and smiled and shook my head. ;D

This is so weird; I think I was in the exact same test room as you (I am in New York, too).  Are you planning to report it to LSAC?

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 05:13:23 PM »

This is so weird; I think I was in the exact same test room as you (I am in New York, too).  Are you planning to report it to LSAC?

no because it really didn't hinder me, it was just annoying.  When it was all said and done I still had 10 mins. leftover in section 1 which i used to go back and look at the first couple of questions. :-\