Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What class should I take for the LSAT  (Read 2174 times)

VAGator81

• View Profile
What class should I take for the LSAT
« on: July 11, 2004, 09:04:19 PM »
Just recently my parents informed me that they would suck it up and pay for me to take a LSAT prep class. Does anybody have a recommendation? What are the best classes out there? I have heard Powerscore, Testmasters, and Princeton Review are good ones. Thanks for the help. Lastly, I told my parents itís worth the cost, is it?

Gummo

Re: What class should I take for the LSAT
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 09:06:08 PM »
Just recently my parents informed me that they would suck it up and pay for me to take a LSAT prep class. Does anybody have a recommendation? What are the best classes out there? I have heard Powerscore, Testmasters, and Princeton Review are good ones. Thanks for the help. Lastly, I told my parents itís worth the cost, is it?

Powerscore or Testmasters; PS is slightly better due to smaller classes and printed instructions in their course materials.  It's probably worth the cost if you put enough work into it, but it's nothing you can't do on your own.

Gummo

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 09:08:05 PM »
Unless the "Gator" in your name means you're in Gainesville, in which case there are no full-length powerscore classes available.

untouchableface

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 11:16:13 PM »
I recently took the powerscore full length course and I thought it was worth it.

LSATGuru

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 11:18:56 PM »
Unless you've taken both PowerScore and TestMasters you shouldn't comment on whether it's worth it.

TestMasters is worth every penny in my experience.

Powerscore or Testmasters; PS is slightly better due to smaller classes and printed instructions in their course materials.  It's probably worth the cost if you put enough work into it, but it's nothing you can't do on your own.

Gummo

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 11:31:57 PM »
Unless you've taken both PowerScore and TestMasters you shouldn't comment on whether it's worth it.

TestMasters is worth every penny in my experience.

Well, feminine hygiene product, I took TM.  Who the @#!* would take BOTH Powerscore and TM full length courses?  I know what TM was like, and I know what its disadvantages are (for example, HUGE classes, and books without instructional material printed), and I know for a fact that Powerscore has smaller classes and printed instructions.

The poster wanted opinions; I don't think she specified that only people that for some reason took two full length prepcourses that are almost identical should reply.

LSATGuru

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 11:36:43 PM »
My TestMasters class has 8 people.  Obviously you're wrong to make generalizations, and also obviously too stupid to benefit from any type of instruction which explains your disappointment with TM's results.   

If you're too inept to grasp my point that you shouldn't comment on TESTMASTERS AND POWERSCORE UNLESS YOU'VE TAKEN BOTH doesn't suggest there are people who HAVE taken both but that if you've taken one or the other THAT YOU SHOULDN'T COMMENT ON BOTH.

Man, you're lucky computers can't detect the intelligence level of their users--yours would have set itself afire years ago.

Gummo

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 11:43:32 PM »
My TestMasters class has 8 people.  Obviously you're wrong to make generalizations, and also obviously too stupid to benefit from any type of instruction which explains your disappointment with TM's results.   

If you're too inept to grasp my point that you shouldn't comment on TESTMASTERS AND POWERSCORE UNLESS YOU'VE TAKEN BOTH doesn't suggest there are people who HAVE taken both but that if you've taken one or the other THAT YOU SHOULDN'T COMMENT ON BOTH.

Man, you're lucky computers can't detect the intelligence level of their users--yours would have set itself afire years ago.

Aww, you're just trying to stick up for Testmasters.  I don't think the statement that TM doesn't print its instructions was a generalization; it's a fact.  And I said it's worth it if the OP puts work into it.  I didn't.  Additionally, I didn't say I was disappointed with TM, just that Powerscore is better for a couple reasons.  The poster has GATOR in his/her name.  If he or she is in GAINESVILLE where UF is, he/she can enjoy thirty people cramped in a crappy hotel conference room, as I did.

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 11:47:36 PM »
Although I have not yet taken a prep course, I have done several hours of research on the different options.  I've read every post on this board (there are several threads on this topic) and throughout the internet that I could find on the courses.  After reading different opinions and making comparisons, I've come to the strong consensus that Powerscore would be your best bet (Testmasters a close second).  

If you search for Powerscore on this board you will find many great reviews.  If you search for Kaplan you will find many negative views.  Both Princeton Review and Testmasters seemed to be mixed.  The pros of Powerscore are: small class sizes, cheapest price, great prep materials, detailed explanations and examples in course books, more class room hours than Kaplan and Princeton, use of real LSAT questions only, and their reputation for strength for logic games help (Logic Games Bible).  While the other courses all seem to have downfalls I have not yet read a negative comment on Powerscore.  However, you might want to look into what courses are available in your area before spending too much time contemplating.  

As far as taking a prep course, if your parents have offered to pay for the course I would take advantage.  Self study only works well if you are incredibly disciplined and have grat concentration skills.  You will also have to purchase all of the study materials, which can quickly add up.  If you have the finances to take a course I see only advantages to doing so.  That said, many people are very successful that do not take prep courses and study with previously administered LSATS.     
Attending Duke

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 11:52:12 PM »

Dude, what is your problem.  All you do is try to piss people off.  I do not see where anybody in this thread said they were disappointed in TM's results.  One poster stated some drawbacks, but never stated he/she was disappointed.  You need to take a step back, re-read if you have to before coming to your silly, adleminded posts. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..