Law School Discussion

POST-MORTEM December '05 - Logical Reasoning

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
POST-MORTEM December '05 - Logical Reasoning
« on: December 03, 2005, 11:44:59 AM »
FYI - questions still being debated are in bold. all others are consensus answers, which means that they are most likely correct. also - parts that are in GREEN and bold are the disputed, favored answer by the consensus. Questions in RED need your help

1. REM – lack of REM  sleep causes more stress (choice E) v. those in waking life more irritable

2. Birds moving to new island -  birds not mature v.  land in new place not like nesting terrain of old place

3. Must be sincere to be trustworthy/ assumption

4. 60 psychological problems -  it fails to assume that majority of the people suffer from one illness,  even though 75% of the 60 were cured, if most people suffer from one of the ones that wasn't cured, then it doesn't mean that "most people will be cured v. the participants may have more illnesses than the public (?)

5. Reforestation tax incentive – allows the lumber companies to take advantage of the tax incentive while defeating purpose of the policy

6. Mouse, rat, guinea pig - some animals with different ancestors can have a closer genetic composition than animals that share an ancestor v. ?

7. Social science teacher/math teacher statistics – the person doesn’t address the other’s main point

8. Don't fund endangered species  - similar to don't repair car

9. Parallel reasoning: don't vote or vote - similar to computer messages

10. Resolve paradox: voters that voted for winner attached more importance to election when surveyed over phone

11. Weaken except question/employees productiveness and efficiency - rating criteria for efficiency and time management the same v. efficient managers would get nothing out of the seminars

12. Flaw: ants - assumes what true for insects, ants as whole true for all/any species of ants (whole/member flaw)

13. language - thinking conceptually is required for language

14. Anti-lock breaks- another car uses another system that controls wheel spin

15. electric car v. gas car – you shouldn’t support something that goes against your beliefs (the electric car plant pollutes a lot and you are supporting them by purchasing the electric car)

16. astrology/physicians (wrong appeal to authority) – answer is something obvious, like my bio teacher says politics are stupid so he's right

17. coins – judge side of coin can’t be on the other side of building depiction

18. People surveyed in a shopping mall about two candidates – not representative of the population

19. Tuition increases due to what? – recent increased athletics and administrative costs

20. hybrid crop – tests were conducted in better area than when actually implemented in real world, this explains why in the real world the hybrid crop isn’t yielding as much as in tests

21. Research biologists being favored over non-research biologists – (even) the bio research professors get administrative positions at disproportionately low levels

22. people overestimating being noticed

23. lie detector test – people taking the test may experience similar psychological reactions because they are nervous, not because they are lying

24. As for the art museum, the stimulus stated that the media coverage of a special exhibit resulted in the museum avoiding bankruptcy - fails to consider that they wouldn't necessarily have closed/bankrupt if the story hadn't been done

25. A tax is effective only if it puts burden on all people it affects AND raises revenue. A tax is ineffective only if puts burden on everyone AND does not raise revenue - tax revenue from gas (the choice lacks one of the necessary conditions)

26. microbiologists studying complex  microbe system  - said they can't get a complete understanding without isolating them

27. skilled/unskilled workers now less desirable, why? - employers use technology to lower costs

28. STAMP - answer is printing errors are rare

29. Witness affirms her belief that the defendant if guilty, so this means some of the jury didn’t believe her testimony -  she can think someone is guilty without her testimony implicating/incriminating the defendant

30. Parallel Reasoning Flawed - Statistical Methods - something about how some form of science commonly uses statistical methods, they are testing mental states or something.  Mental states can not be repeated.  Statistical methods require repetition.  Therefore, the form of socience in question can not explain mental states. The flaw is that just because statistics can't explain it, this doesn't mean all of the science can't. – answer is the one about the history theory

31. The constituents following the leader – unsure of the necessity of their contribution (missing one of the necessary conditions, answer choice E?)

32. Elephant ivory – the tusks just after the ban were actually the endangered species' tusks

33. Mozart’s skull, partially healed – injury happened before he died

34. Historians don’t always agree so they just make up stories – assumption is that just because there are differing accounts, none can be correct

35. 24% will join a new political party,  16% will give money, A party needs at least 30% to support it, etc – those who have yet to join may donate money v. some of the 16 percent and some of the 30 percent may not be the same people, therefore it could ahve the needed 30 percent.

36. CD vs. Vinyl...vinyl grooves restricting the artistic placement of songs - CDs offer more artistic freedom

37. sixth sense, ESP -  participants can also feel it while being watched on video camera experiment

38. insomniacs and drugs - sleeping in new place is easy for a little and the drug does not work

39. apply the philosopher's views to the most appropriate scenario, concerned how certain actions can result in a 'pernicious influence' on society – we shouldn't forego seeking information even if it could turn out to be bad v. ?

40. Scientists created things that are useful but can also be used as weapons of mass destruction - People should not be responsible if useful things they develop create undesirable, unforseeable consequences v. People should not be responsible if useful things they develop have unforseeable, negative effects on society when used improperly

41. conclusion question, journalism bias - There is no liberal bias in journalism (choice C) v. evidence doesn't allow for one to draw the conclusion that journalists are liberally biased (choice A)

42. heart disease and doctors – preexisting  heart disease condition v. nonvitamin

43.strengthen - business class uses case studies in their coursework, this does't allow them to really get whats going on, and they should teach abstract theory as well - answer is abstract theory promotes better understanding (the method they were currently using was incomplete and did not promote a full understanding)

44. teachers and calculators - calculators enable students to avoid tedious calculation and focus on learning the principles, but enthusiasm was misplaced because students are better able to retain information when they've done all the tedious work, key was learn vs. retain, - answer is its more important to retain those principles that are hard to work at and stuff rather than ones that are easily mastered

45. media serving the public interest, something about action shows - media does not serve the public interest by showing only popular shows

46.high blood pressure, medication, and stress/stimulus said that a new medication is effective for treating high blood pressure, therefore at least some cases of high blood pressure were not caused by stress - answer was that the stimulus assumes that the medication does not reduce stress

47. just because an indicator species' population decreased doesn't necessarily portend environmental pollution because there are other, natural, factors that could cause the indicator species' population to decline that was not related to environmental pollution

48. phobia - phobia isn't always preceded by traumatizing event and people with phobia don't always go through tramatizing event etc.. think the answer was takes for granted causality requires invariable association.

49.About politicians. it's an assumption question that says, some argue that the most effective politicians are those who most adroitly respond to public opinion. while others say that the most effective politicians are those who best influence public opinion. but there is merit to both arguments since any politician who has been successful at getting legislation through congress has been adept at both (influencing and responding to p.o.).  The assumption is that those who are successful at getting legislation through congress are the most effective politicians.

50.Two people are speaking and they do basically agree on the main conlcusion, they just differ as to whether the benefits are going to happen sooner or later...

51.Art work that was being stolen from a museum and sold to wealthy individuals.  The stimulus said something about increasing the security for the most valuable pieces.  The answer had to do with ?identifying the assumpiton? that the wealthy individuals were only interested in the most valuable pieces.

52.Some oil company saying that a certain proposal to use electrical energy??? is no good. After all, the people who came up with the proposal were people from electrical energy companies. The question was what assumption would make the argument work. A: That people with a vested interest in something cannot make a sound argument

Re: POST-MORTEM December '05 - Logical Reasoning
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 12:11:07 PM »
QUestion 2 on what was my last section in AR. It was about REM Sleep. I put the answer that seemed good, though I was a bit befuddled. I think it was C.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 12:19:21 PM »
Here's a few I remember:

The Ants question: Something about how organisms that spread out succeed, those that are isolated into a niche are threatened.  Ants are spread out, therefore no species of ant is threatened. 
I think the answer to this was that the author assumed that what was true of ants as a whole was true of all species of ants.

The voting question: There were voter surveys that showed one candidate having an advantage over another, but then the other candidate won the election.
This is similar to an old LSAT question (almost identical)...I think the answer is that the voters who voted for the winner attached more importance to the election.

matts720

• Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »
I think the answer was something like people who have had their REM sleep interrupted show more stress in waking life, that's what I went with.

imago

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 12:20:47 PM »
The REM sleep passage answers was a strengthen. . . answer something like "those who normailly get less REM sleep are more irratible in their waking hours."

LRs I remember and had troublw with. . .

-60 psychological disorders

-weaken the managers argument in favor of time management training (or whatever)

more as i think of them

Brett McKay

• The Frugal Law Student
    • View Profile
    • The Frugal Law Student
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 12:20:54 PM »
i remember the question about REM sleep and the lack of it causing stress. The answer was that if you got little REM sleep then you would be more stressed

Rooster

• This dog has a tough life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 12:21:15 PM »
Here's a few I remember:

The Ants question: Something about how organisms that spread out succeed, those that are isolated into a niche are threatened.  Ants are spread out, therefore no species of ant is threatened. 
I think the answer to this was that the author assumed that what was true of ants as a whole was true of all species of ants.

The voting question: There were voter surveys that showed one candidate having an advantage over another, but then the other candidate won the election.
This is similar to an old LSAT question (almost identical)...I think the answer is that the voters who voted for the winner attached more importance to the election.

For the ants question I think it had something else...but i really dont remember, I had 3 LRS

For the voting i had the same answer as you

matts720

• Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 12:21:25 PM »
Here's a few I remember:

For that ants question, I had gone with that the author assumed that the two locations weren't just small areas of the world. I guessed though..

Rooster

• This dog has a tough life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
I think the answer was something like people who have had their REM sleep interrupted show more stress in waking life, that's what I went with.

SAME

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 12:22:24 PM »
what was the answer to the question about the insomniacs and getting sleep with the pill and placebo?