Law School Discussion

POST-MORTEM December '05 - Reading Comprehension

Re: POST-MORTEM December '05 - Reading Comprehension
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
went with tacit approval; the author did seem to endorse with what the poet was saying

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2005, 12:35:15 PM »
Hey does anyone rememer the order of the anwers in the last rc section.  i was completly out of time and just guessed- were there a lot of As

and, did the questions about human embryos have anything to do with frogs :P

Monreith2

• Yes Please !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2005, 12:35:44 PM »
On the embryo passage, did people think the second paragraphs function was to describe
1: many different types of embryo (whatever) or 2:two different types of embryo (whatever)

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2005, 12:36:05 PM »
This thing could really go either way, but I do think it's tacit approval because to have to make a show of indifference. There has to be some apathy in it. And I know this is hardly an intellectual way to look about it, but the author's voice has no hint of "whatever, I don't care" about the subject matter discussed. I really don't know though, because there's no evidence for approval, either  ;D

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2005, 12:36:34 PM »
Believe me, I had A then B, then A, then B ... it is a tough question, whatever the right answer. I just thought that the passage supported "detached indifference" better ... but I also see the points on the other side and could have just as well picked that, other than I found some evidence for indifference (i.e. all the references to the fact that it was GLUCK's words/actions/thinking, etc) and nothing to support tacit approval (but that's kind of due to the nature of tacit-ness!)...

So, we'll just have to see WTF LSAS was thinking.

;D

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2005, 12:37:17 PM »
For the fourth embryo passage, what did you guys put for which of the following would the author most likely agree with?

it was the second question after the mainpoint...i couldn't find any...but chose D....weird language in D, though.  the only other choice i remember is A which said that the simpler the organism. the faster the fermentation or something like that.

sorry this is so vague.

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »
Also, I just had the idea "DO NOT READ ANYTHING IN TO THE PASSAGE" drilled in to my head in all my prep, I thought the notion of them making a correct answer choice something that BY DEFINITION requires that you read into the text was just a violation of a basic rule of Reading Comp - but I wouldn't put it past them either.

:D

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2005, 12:38:56 PM »
monretih, i chose many embryos b/c the paragraph mentioned fruit flies, nematodes, frogs, humans

Monreith2

• Yes Please !
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2005, 12:40:44 PM »
as did I ! (many embryos)

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2005, 12:42:31 PM »
i put indifference for the Gulk question but i'm pretty sure it's tacit (see gwenkern's explanation).

i'm trying to remember more questions...