Law School Discussion

POST-MORTEM December '05 - Reading Comprehension

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
POST-MORTEM December '05 - Reading Comprehension
« on: December 03, 2005, 11:44:05 AM »
Passage 1 was about Augurnarians(sp?) and their cave paintings, how they factored into hunting season
Passage 2 was about Gluck and her critics, who wanted female poets to have a distinctive voice
Passage 3 was about native Canadians and the private property vs. collective property
Passage 4 was about the comparison of fruit flys fertilization and the fertilization of neomates(sp?) and maybe humans as well.

Cavemen

1. that tribal rituals were used in addition to cave paintings to gain magical power over the animals

2. Specialization--the passage specifically mentions shamans and religious leaders, specialized professions

3. paintings depicted in caves - animals (bisons discussed)

4. author felt about what the anthropologists were saying in paragraph 3 -  implicit approval

5.  something like why the pictures were painted in some place so inaccessible - cave paitings had other functions aside from aesthetic ones

Gluck and poetry

1. analogy -Bird flying exposing the normally non-visible turbulence in the air

2. tacit agreement

3. what would the author most likely think about the prospects, inheritance - male-dominated, universal v. social and historical transcendence 

4. author's attitude - imposition v. those great literary achievements passed down generations of writers

5. poetic connection  in childhood

6. main point – "though criticism, gluck…"

7.the realization of gender roles/identities/whatever would be st rongest if the author was____ - "unconscious/unaware of gender roles"

Canadian law

1.author feels like the courts will get better, and glad about it

2.property owner means being able to do whatever you want with the property

3.which one of the following is most indicative of the fact that courts will be unlikely to rule always with the museums - even if native canadians did not own documentation of their property...

4.all the ones that litigated use the communal method

5.purpose of the first paragraph for native Canadians: "to give the basic context...."

6.author says all EXCEPT:  private ownership allows just one owner, (isnt true, both communal and private can have multiple people)

7.question asking what the canadian native could/couldn't do with their property, and answer choices included "selling it," "developing it," etc.  And the answer was "sell it," but of course in a more elaborated sentence.

Embryos

1.what is meant by conservation of mechanism- researcher could compare the development of human and fruit fly eyes

2. diversity of methods by which early polarity is determined is surprising

4. What can we know about human polarization- it takes more cell division than...(whatever the question asked about)

5. What is the point of third or second paragraph- to demonstrate various ways that animals can polarize

6.difference for fruit flies and nematodes: fruit flies ready to go prior to fertilization, nematodes upon fertilization, or something like that...

7. What would the author be most likely to agree with?  A: Scientists will work on figuring out how human polarity is determined.

8. What is the most typical situation research from simple vertebrates could be used for humans? A: Studying visual apparatus.

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
Re: POST-MORTEM December '05 - Reading Comprehension
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 11:58:14 AM »
The Embryo passage was the last passage for me and I had 5 minutes to complete it in, thus who knows how many guesses I got right!!    :'(

matts720

• Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 11:59:44 AM »
1st passage was about Augurnarians(sp?) and their cave paintings, how they factored into hunting season

2nd passage was about Gluck and her critics, who wanted female poets to have a distinctive voice

3rd passage was about native Canadians and the private property vs. collective property

4th passage was about the comparison of fruit flys fertilization and the fertilization of neomates(sp?) and maybe humans as well.

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 12:01:01 PM »
First passage was easy. 2 was ok. 3 was ok. 4 was kinda hard. [q

uote author=matts720 link=topic=47855.msg885730#msg885730 date=1133636384]
1st passage was about Augurnarians(sp?) and their cave paintings, how they factored into hunting season

2nd passage was about Gluck and her critics, who wanted female poets to have a distinctive voice

3rd passage was about native Canadians and the private property vs. collective property

4th passage was about the comparison of fruit flys fertilization and the fertilization of neomates(sp?) and maybe humans as well.
[/quote]

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 12:02:15 PM »
1st--Cave stuff
2nd--Gluck and poetry
3rd-Canadian laws/natives
4th--embryo

In the first section was the correct answer of what we knew about them was the type of animals, right? Not that they lived in caves?

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 12:02:54 PM »
I thought the last Embryo was pretty easy, the questions pretty much kept hitting on the main point of the passage: embryonic development uses different genetic mechanisms whereas later developments usually use similar genetic mechanisms.

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 12:04:32 PM »
yeah i had type of animals, bison, etc

4th was just hard for me I guess cos I had 5 minutes and i did get to read it properly.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 12:05:41 PM »
The tone question on GLuck--was it tacit accpetance or endorsement or something like that?

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 12:06:27 PM »
yeah i think it was tactit, she didnt sound too enthusiatic

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 12:07:36 PM »
DAmn, I had that and then put indifference.