Law School Discussion

Buying your way in?

Buying your way in?
« on: December 02, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »
I've heard rumors of people buying their way into schools.  Has anyone else heard of people donating money to get accepted?

Re: Buying your way in?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 04:47:26 PM »
It's nothing like undergrad in terms of being able to buy your way in.  It's possible, just much more expensive.  Montauk says "The standard for giving is very high, indeed.  A thousand-dollar annual gift will not qualify someone for development status; a hundred thousand-dollar annual gift might or might not suffice."

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 04:51:19 PM »
I know someone who bought their way into GULC FT.  They told her that she needed to take the LSAT, so she took the June test, just a couple months before starting school. 

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 04:55:23 PM »
wow they were that upfront?  did they donate a ton of money?

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 12:41:58 AM »
Each school has a price list for major gifts: endowed chairs or a named room can cost $100,000 and up, buildings of course are in the millions.  If you seriously have this much money, then by all means, call the development department and make an offer.

You might consider, however, that even if you have the money it's not necessarily the best idea to purchase your admission.  If you don't meet a given school's criteria, how likely are you to succeed at that school? 

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 02:39:13 AM »
While it's true that having someone who couldn't succeed at Cooley buy their way into Harvard might not work, I think most people who could gain acceptance into lower Tier 1 schools would probably do fine at T14, even if they're near the bottom, as their options would still be more going to Harvard than if they'd gone to Loyola or something.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 06:57:45 AM »
I don't have the option of buying my way in, but I had a friend tell me that a certain number of people do every year at top schools.  I just thought it was interesting, all the people on this board giving Cooley a hard time should consider that the top schools apparently aren't perfect either.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 06:59:32 AM »
While it's true that having someone who couldn't succeed at Cooley buy their way into Harvard might not work, I think most people who could gain acceptance into lower Tier 1 schools would probably do fine at T14, even if they're near the bottom, as their options would still be more going to Harvard than if they'd gone to Loyola or something.

I agree, I've always felt once you're into a school it's not that hard to get by.  Law schools used to flunk people out, but now it's a small percentage that start and don't graduate.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 09:14:03 AM »
wow they were that upfront?  did they donate a ton of money?

They were that up front.  They admitted her after they had already admitted the entire class, and before she took the LSAT.  To be honest, I don't even know if she made a contribution to the school before she was admitted.  I assume she did, but I don't know it as a fact.  One line on her resume got her in.  Philanthropy...........$4M per year.