Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What if your ugly?  (Read 7537 times)

jg983

Re: What if your ugly?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 04:38:44 PM »
If most people aren't capable of being thin, why aren't there similar obesity epidemics in most western countries? Are Americans genetically inferior to Europeans?

SCgrad

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 05:15:09 PM »
You can do something about a weight problem.  I have had family members do so.

And how long does it generally last? 

The reality is that successful, long-term weight loss without gastric bypass surgery is exceedingly rare. 

Attractiveness is subjective,

Not really.  Attractiveness is defined by how many people are physically aroused by a person, and how intense that arousal is.  While there are some variants (i.e., some people are exceptionally attracted to their girlfriend, even though everyone else thinks she's hideous), these anomalies are also exceedingly rare.

BTW, they've also done studies on who wins trials and why.  The thinner/more conventionally attractive party almost always wins: even if it's clear that s/he's legally at fault.  (One case in Iowa, a robber won $30,000 from a family that was repeatedly robbed and then set a booby trap to catch the robber in action.) 

Thus subjective. 

No.  It's like the difference between public health and internal medicine.  Both concern people's health, but one looks at it from a statistical perspective, and the other looks at it from an individual perspective. 

IOW, while subjective variants occasionally occur, they're so few and far between it's not worth altering the generally accepted definition.

Also, people do lose weight and keep it off, but it takes a change in attitude about fitness and diet, not some pill or "miracle" diet.  The fact is most people don't make this decision.

Actually, they do.  What happens is that their metabolism changes, so that even with the new attitude they still gain weight back. 

1.  But (and this question does not actually seem that serious) if you are really asking for AA for ungly people, someone has to decide if an applicant qualifies.  Are you suggesting posting someone's picture on the internet and having thousands of people vote?  More than 80 percent say you are ugly and it is so.  Ridiculous, even for this thread.  You admitted yourself that attractiveness is subjective, and in the realm of this situation, that aspect is important, you must see that.

2.  What about the people who have been overweight their whole life and make the change and keep the weight off?  How come they can do it and others can't.  I am not hating on people with weight problems.  I don't have to worry about it much, but I do beleive ANYONE can lose weight and maintain a normal weight given the right frame of mind, diet, and exercise program.  If we disagree on this, there is no reason to argue, you are not going to convince me with fuzzy science when I have [calarie intake - calaries burned].  That is a fact.

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Piraeus' Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 06:00:37 PM »
It always has to be said in these conversations that AA in law school is ostensibly about increasing diversity and not helping the disadvantaged (at least that's my understanding).
GPA 2.34 (you're so jealous)
LSAT 162
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=piraeus

piraeus

• Do it for her
    • View Profile
    • Piraeus' Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
Although it's not as bad in some ways as URM's discrimination, some argue it is worse because it is the only remaining acceptable prejudices. 

Heh, except for gay-bashing, which is, you-know, a party platform.

Really? What party is engaging in gay-bashing and how are they doing so?
GPA 2.34 (you're so jealous)
LSAT 162
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=piraeus

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 08:20:15 PM »
If most people aren't capable of being thin, why aren't there similar obesity epidemics in most western countries? Are Americans genetically inferior to Europeans?

Of course. Unfortunately, the march of the Master Race was thwarted, so we are doomed to fatness for the rest of our fatty fat lives.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

skaiserbrown

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 10:50:05 PM »
i'm pretty sure there's rising rates of obesity in europe too, especially as smoking rates fall.

a healthy diet is part of it, but some people are naturally predisposed to being heavier.

SCgrad

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 03:28:20 AM »
It always has to be said in these conversations that AA in law school is ostensibly about increasing diversity and not helping the disadvantaged (at least that's my understanding).

Yeah, otherwise you would get AA for being stupid, right?  Why no AA for not being able to speak English?  Nobody thinks you are a capable lawyer if you can't speak English.  Like I said, stupid thread.

jg983

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 04:13:43 AM »
i'm pretty sure there's rising rates of obesity in europe too, especially as smoking rates fall.

a healthy diet is part of it, but some people are naturally predisposed to being heavier.

They may be rising, but they can hardly compare to obesity here -- nor can obesity rates in this country from 50 years ago. The percentage of Americans who are overweight and obese is rapidly climbing in this country, and there's nothing natural about it. One recent study from JHU found that 9 of 10 women and 8 of 10 men will be OBESE (not overweight) at some point in their lives. The longer we continue to brush off this epidemic as something people can't control, the more millions that will die. It's not just a matter of appearance.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 04:33:34 AM »
if you're fat and ugly yeah that may suck a little and you may not get as many dates...but that doesnt mean you can't be confident and still get good grades and LSAT scores...in fact really deformed people may get even better scores b/c they won't be out on dates and partying and can spend their undgergrad styudying instead...whoever said this was a stupid thread is right, i hope that it was posted as a joke
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

SCgrad

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2005, 04:42:52 AM »
if you're fat and ugly yeah that may suck a little and you may not get as many dates...but that doesnt mean you can't be confident and still get good grades and LSAT scores...in fact really deformed people may get even better scores b/c they won't be out on dates and partying and can spend their undgergrad styudying instead...whoever said this was a stupid thread is right, i hope that it was posted as a joke

Can't drop a name?  I said it TWICE!  ;)

Unfortunately I think some people are serious about this topic  ::)