Law School Discussion

Best Schools for Conservatives

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Best Schools for Conservatives
« on: December 02, 2005, 12:23:40 PM »
Conservative minority, very outspoken politically, but gracious enough to respect the educated opinions of others.  What schools of the following are most accomodating?

University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Georgetown University
University of Chicago
Northwestern University
University of Pennsylvania
Duke University

Thanks, y'all.  I know Chicago has a "rep" for being conservative, but I don't know how accurate that is.  How is Michigan?  Georgetown?  I heard Duke and Northwestern were notoriously liberal-leaning.  Is this the case?

!!

• View Profile
Re: Best Schools for Conservatives
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 02:14:10 PM »
Michigan is pretty liberal.  Go there; it'll do you good.   :P

2Lacoste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 03:23:28 PM »
LOL, yeah I mean, I don't mind attending a liberal school.  Hell, I'm at a school now that in its hey-day made Berkeley look like Liberty.  I also see that attending a more liberal school is better for me intellectually; it'll challenge my implicit political assumptions more.  But it still would be cool to get to a school where I'm not the ONLY minority conservative lol (which is almost the case here at my u-grad).

Thanks!

L19

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 05:04:34 PM »
Michigan is pretty liberal.  Go there; it'll do you good.   

Ann Coulter did.

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 05:05:52 PM »

Ann Coulter did.

She also edited the UM Law Review.

Meh.  No school is perfect. :P

JPhilmore

• This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 05:11:03 PM »
The best school for conservatives is normally Yale.  Interestingly, it is also normally the best school for liberals.  Go figure.

Slow Blues

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 07:37:20 PM »
L19.

I've read about minority conservatives in books, but I didn't think they actually existed...

Seriously, I think maybe your best bet is to make sure whatever school in which you're interested has a Republican National Lawyers Assoc., Law Republicans, or some such similar club that caters to you. I would think just about every law school has something like this.

BTW don't feel so bad. One of my roommates my senior year was black, Jewish, openly gay, and a Republican. From Alabama. No joke. :-X I think he transferred to Harvard halfway through the year.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 07:42:06 PM »
Bigger may be better... you get a wider variety of people and the odds of any particular combination of characteristics is increased.

2Lacoste

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 09:08:10 PM »

BTW don't feel so bad. One of my roommates my senior year was black, Jewish, openly gay, and a Republican. From Alabama. No joke. :-X I think he transferred to Harvard halfway through the year.

That is insane.  No, I'm black, puerto rican, cuban, straight, and Republican.  From North Carolina/NY.  Weird mix, but your roommate takes the cake. 

Michigan might not be bad, it's be quietly creeping up my list of desirable schools for some time now.

bluegreyeyes

• i dream of being ordinary
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 09:10:05 PM »
Conservative minority, very outspoken politically, but gracious enough to respect the educated opinions of others.  What schools of the following are most accomodating?

University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Georgetown University
University of Chicago
Northwestern University
University of Pennsylvania
Duke University

Thanks, y'all.  I know Chicago has a "rep" for being conservative, but I don't know how accurate that is.  How is Michigan?  Georgetown?  I heard Duke and Northwestern were notoriously liberal-leaning.  Is this the case?

i didn't really read your post, but, Washington & lee is conservative. or so i've heard from several friends.