Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Held at Texas  (Read 1026 times)

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
Held at Texas
« on: December 02, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »
So I just got held at Texas. My numbers are 3.5+/175+. I'm now really worried about my other apps.
I'm done with apps...waiting to visit schools and make a decision.

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
Re: Held at Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 12:00:58 PM »
I was deferred. I don't want to discuss my stuff in too much detail, but I am out of state, and do have SOME soft factors. No egregious violations of the law.

Leshy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 12:03:24 PM »
So I just got held at Texas. My numbers are 3.5+/177+. I'm now really worried about my other apps.

I'm sorry to hear that, but you should really be optimistic about your chances.  You have outstanding numbers and a T14 acceptance.  I know getting held at Texas with your stats is odd and disheartening, perhaps its yield-protect move or something, but I really think that you have nothing to worry about.  I would be shocked if you didn't get into the other schools you applied to.  Good luck with the rest of your schools, you're in a great position to achieve some amazing things.

john83

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »
So I just got held at Texas. My numbers are 3.5+/177+. I'm now really worried about my other apps.

out of state accepts are hard to come by, so i hear. you've got good numbers, so you should be fine.

how did they notify? what about your online status check? if i may ask.

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that, but you should really be optimistic about your chances.  You have outstanding numbers and a T14 acceptance.  I know getting held at Texas with your stats is odd and disheartening, perhaps its yield-protect move or something, but I really think that you have nothing to worry about.  I would be shocked if you didn't get into the other schools you applied to.  Good luck with the rest of your schools, you're in a great position to achieve some amazing things.

I really appreciate that... it's just that I haven't heard from UVA or HLS, and I can't find ANYONE on LSN who's been rejected by UT with numbers even close to mine.

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 12:09:50 PM »

out of state accepts are hard to come by, so i hear. you've got good numbers, so you should be fine.

how did they notify? what about your online status check? if i may ask.

Well, obviously I'm not completely fine, since I've been deferred. I received an email. My online status check changed accordingly.

Leshy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 12:16:03 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that, but you should really be optimistic about your chances.  You have outstanding numbers, an advanced degree, and a T14 acceptance.  I know getting held at Texas with your stats is odd and disheartening, perhaps its yield-protect move or something, but I really think that you have nothing to worry about.  I would be shocked if you didn't get into the other schools you applied to.  Good luck with the rest of your schools, you're in a great position to achieve some amazing things.

I really appreciate that... it's just that I haven't heard from UVA or HLS, and I can't find ANYONE on LSN who's been rejected by UT with numbers even close to mine.

UVa just started accepting people a day ago, so don't worry about that.  They just haven't gotten around to you yet  ;)  As far as Harvard goes, last year on LSN, they only rejected 3 people with an LSAT of 177 or higher (and one of them had a GPA under 3.1).  Believe me, you'll do well this cycle.

12(e)

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 12:18:48 PM »
UT isn't just a numbers game.  Their stats on the LSAC website indicate that they only accept something like 100 applicants in each numbers group (I made up the number because I'm too lazy to look it up). 

Anyway, the point is that they seem to want an even, well-rounded class.
your stupid                                                 
My What?

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 12:28:43 PM »
UT isn't just a numbers game.  Their stats on the LSAC website indicate that they only accept something like 100 applicants in each numbers group (I made up the number because I'm too lazy to look it up). 

For applicants with 175+ and 3.5+, they accepted 23/24 applicants last year.

Slow Blues

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 12:34:14 PM »

For applicants with 175+ and 3.5+, they accepted 23/24 applicants last year.

Ehhh, why sweat it? Texas probably isn't your top choice, and your numbers are a lock for Columbia, Chicago and Stanford.