Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You should be able to put having a GF/BF on your application.  (Read 1082 times)

loveless

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
You should be able to put having a GF/BF on your application.
« on: December 01, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »
Goodness. Talk about most time-consuming extracurricular, especially when their family is pyschotic and they live an hour away at another school you commute to twice a week.

Plus, this shows you've got people skills, right? And time management? Arguing ability? Ability to deal with annoyances and work under harsh conditions?

..... Stamina? ....

Here's a nice light-hearted thread for your dudes. Let's not all go off the deep end with our paranoia.
"Pre-tay, pre-tay, pre-tay good."

Attending: Michigan.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=loveless

Number6

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: You should be able to put having a GF/BF on your application.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 03:32:12 PM »
I agree.  This brings to mind a classic Brent-ism (a propos of our avatars):

For me to be attracted to a woman, she's got to be as intelligent, or slightly less intelligent than me. She is.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 03:36:54 PM »
Goodness. Talk about most time-consuming extracurricular, especially when their family is pyschotic and they live an hour away at another school you commute to twice a week.

Plus, this shows you've got people skills, right? And time management? Arguing ability? Ability to deal with annoyances and work under harsh conditions?

..... Stamina? ....

Here's a nice light-hearted thread for your dudes. Let's not all go off the deep end with our paranoia.

Exactly...except as you pointed out, they DON'T go on your apps, and hence SOs are a major waste of time in college (IMO). That's time taht could be spent doing something (arguably) more productive - like eh, getting good grades, doing research, running student orgs, or even fostering multiple platonic friendships.

Of course I could be bitter b/c I spent my freshman and sophomore years of school being someone's girlfriend/being a general object of desire rather than trying to figure out how to get good grades  :P
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 03:45:39 PM »

..... Stamina? ....

This is obviously bull.  I have way too many ex-boyfriends with bad people skills, time management, ability to deal with annoyances, and, yes, "stamina"  :D

They might not have had great "arguing ability," but they sure liked to try  :P

supergirluw

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 03:49:47 PM »
while being a girlfriend during the past year i have campaigned for the elections (both last year's presidential and this year's local,) worked at least 20 hours a week, taught a college course as an undergrad TA, realized my potential to become a law student and attain some sort of legal career (and, obviously, apply to law school...taking the LSAT...twice...through his motivation) and overcome my own personal obstacles. I don't think I could have been any more productive without him. I'm a more open person (if thats possible) and every day...this is going to sound sappy, sorry...he makes me realize i can do better than I did yesterday.

ya'll are just jealous.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 04:00:58 PM »
while being a girlfriend during the past year i have campaigned for the elections (both last year's presidential and this year's local,) worked at least 20 hours a week, taught a college course as an undergrad TA, realized my potential to become a law student and attain some sort of legal career (and, obviously, apply to law school...taking the LSAT...twice...through his motivation) and overcome my own personal obstacles. I don't think I could have been any more productive without him. I'm a more open person (if thats possible) and every day...this is going to sound sappy, sorry...he makes me realize i can do better than I did yesterday.

ya'll are just jealous.

Or unlucky  ;D  No really though, I don't think relationships are inherantly bad, but most of the ones I've seen (and been in) that take place during college (especially early college) are a huge time suck. Especially for women - we tend to rearrange our lives to suit some guy's needs, and they never seem willing to do the same.

EDITED to add: kruddler just proved my point above

Cpac

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 04:16:33 PM »
Having a bf does take a lot of time...my first college bf didn't like how busy I was. Luckily now I'm dating a grad student who spends all his time working on his thesis. So I can go and do everything and he's still sitting in his office programming.

Leshy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 04:31:20 PM »

:D

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 04:40:03 PM »
The main reason I got rid of my ex was so that I would have more time to study for my 2nd try at the LSAT.

That and he urinated on my shoes....

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 04:53:46 PM »
The main reason I got rid of my ex was so that I would have more time to study for my 2nd try at the LSAT.

That and he urinated on my shoes....

hayle naw. there woulda been some furniture moving...

my girl had to dump this guy who SPAT in her face. there are some things that mean the end of the relationship. finale. finito. no getting back together. peeing on my shoes and/or spitting in my face qualify.