Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what race to mark on LS apps?  (Read 10024 times)

Mr Shears

Re: what race to mark on LS apps?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2006, 06:09:42 PM »
Maybe if your mother's last name was Mein and she combined the two.

:o How did you know my mother's name????

;)

:D

redemption

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2006, 06:12:20 PM »
...continued

-I wish my original response wasn't erased-

In my original response I talked about interrogatories in my state.  In my state's code interrogatories are limited to either 20 or 30 questions.  You strike me as the type of person who would try and embed questions abcd etc. into your questions. I count embeded questions as questions.  If I recieve an interrogatory with more than the limit then I will answer to the limit and then give vague answers to the rest of the questions.  I will answer the extra questions out of courtesy.  If they try to make a point out of the fact that I responded vaguely to their questions I will proceed to make a point that they exceeded their limit of questions. Legally I am not required to answer past the limit.

This case is very similar in that you are placing personal limitations on the question at hand that simply are not there. Legally I can document the fact that I am Native American.  The fact that I happen to answer yes to any of your questions has no validity to the question of whether or not my ethnicity is NA.  If I answered no to all three of your questions, I could/would still mark NA on my application. Legally I have satisfied all requirements.  It is legal and I have received the consent of the Chickasaw Nation and LSAC.

You see law is not a question of what is right or wrong. Law is a question of what is legal.  If you are going to succeed in the legal community you need to distinguish between those two issues.  If you want to succeed in the poilitical sphere, then you're right where you need to be.

I'll let this rest for now with one more question.  Where on applications, or on what application, does it state that you may mark more than one response for ethnicity?

How strange. You're asking for a legal opinion? This isn't a legal issue, but an ethical one. It is according to that criterion that I responded.

Thanks, though, for you opinion on whether I'll make it in the legal profession. I'll keep it in mind.

jag227

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »
I would assume I am about 1/6th NA. This is the reason I brought up my case on this board in the first place. I have the blessing of both the Chickasaw Nation and LSAC. Any more of a background than that is not required.

It is not my duty to determine why ethnicity is a question on applications.

I knew this would be controversial. I knew both jayscoot and redemption would respond this way.  

My greatgrandfather wanted us to know of our heritage.  Our grandparents hid our heritage because of discrimination.  Have you ever read any of our country's history.  My family hid it's background after the trail of tears.  My family hid it's heritage during the period after world war two.  My parents were told not to talk about anything relating to native american culture in public.  To call my heritage fraudelent is quite offensive.

I know you don't know my entire story, nor will I tell it on a message board.
But quit confusing fact with personal bias.

Redemption- I wasn't asking you for a legal opinion- I was pointing out that the questions do not ask how you feel. They ask what you are.  They ask for your genealogy. I will conceed that as part of the definition of ethnicity they ask for cultural background as well. But I believe it is very hard to document culture. The only thing you have to stand on in this case is your documentation of your personal genealogy

redemption

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2006, 06:19:51 PM »
I would assume I am about 1/6th NA. This is the reason I brought up my case on this board in the first place. I have the blessing of both the Chickasaw nation and LSAC. Any more of a background than that is not required.

It is not my duty to determine why ethnicity is a question on applications.

I knew this would be controversial. I knew both jayscoot and redemption would respond this way.  

My greatgrandfather wanted us to know of our heritage.  Our grandparents hid our heritage because of discrimination.  Have you ever read any of our country's history.  My family hid it's background after the trail of tears.  My family hid it's heritage during the period after world war two.  My parents were told not to talk about anything relating to native american culture in public.  To call my heritage fraudelent is quite offensive.

I know you don't know my entire story, nor will I tell it on a message board.
But quit confusing fact with personal bias.

Have you been drinking, or are you just confused?  ???

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »
- I used to consider myself purely of royal english descent.
- I am approximately 1/6-1/10 pure blooded native american.
- I don't have any tribal card.
- In the past year however I learned that I am related to both the chieftans of the Chickasaw and the Cherokee tribes
- I have been able to document 1/12 of my lineage.
- I had limited knowledge of this lineage until one year ago. 
- I appear fair skinned
- I have marked Native American on my applications.

:'(

Really, it's a shame.  Native Americans can't have ANYTHING.  You have to go and take that too...

I stand by all my statements, no matter how offensive you've deemed them to be.

Mr Shears

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2006, 06:28:02 PM »
- I am approximately 1/6-1/10 pure blooded native american.

:'(

Really, it's a shame.  Native Americans can't have ANYTHING.  You have to go and take that too...

Isn't 1/6-1/10 pure blood an oxymoron?

magnumalv

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2006, 06:30:09 PM »
I have the blessing of both the Chickasaw Nation and LSAC. Any more of a background than that is not required.

Then why are we arguing about this?

Then you shouldn't be surprised or offended when they rip your argument to shreds. If you invite confrontation, don't be a wuss when it shows up at your party.

redemption

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2006, 06:32:32 PM »
For a few moments, there, I thought that my glass of wine was getting to ME!

Mr Shears

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2006, 06:35:34 PM »
For a few moments, there, I thought that my glass of wine was getting to ME!

I thought I was getting overhydrated.  Your kidneys can only handle 15 liters of H2O a day, you know.  :P

Mr Shears

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2006, 06:40:48 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Redemption's argument is pretty much a crock of *&^%?  To her, race is irrelevant because it is something we haven't linked a gene to, and therefore it is a social construct.  Nonetheless, it is relevant if we feel discriminated against -- despite the fact that the discrimination would also be a social construct.

I've already posted my views, which don't coincide with hers or jag's.