Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what race to mark on LS apps?  (Read 10308 times)

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: what race to mark on LS apps?
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2006, 04:40:11 PM »

I think I've kind of exhausted my opinion here though.  It was an interesting discussion and I'm satisfied that I was able to bone it so hard.  :D :P :D

thanks for the clarifications.  and i am inclined to agree ;)
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

ladi

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2006, 05:00:13 AM »
For any type of applicatons I usually just put asian but technically I am half chinese and half west indian (cant narrow to one country there), so should I just conform to what I usually do with my race or should I check other and write asian/west indian?
Will putting both races give me an adtantage over just putting one race?
thanks

I am contemplating this as well.  The older I get, the more i really dislike identifying as something i am not. Both of my parents are west indian - one of south asian descent and the other of african descent. My lsac info says other, but who knows what i marked on the lsat. I dont consider myself african-american and somewhat feel marking such is false. At the same time some people say you are screwing yourself marking anythin else, especially with the way people of african descent are treated. The applications where you can write in your ethnicity are great but unfortunately they are not the majority...

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2006, 09:33:37 AM »
For any type of applicatons I usually just put asian but technically I am half chinese and half west indian (cant narrow to one country there), so should I just conform to what I usually do with my race or should I check other and write asian/west indian?
Will putting both races give me an adtantage over just putting one race?
thanks

I am contemplating this as well.  The older I get, the more i really dislike identifying as something i am not. Both of my parents are west indian - one of south asian descent and the other of african descent. My lsac info says other, but who knows what i marked on the lsat. I dont consider myself african-american and somewhat feel marking such is false. At the same time some people say you are screwing yourself marking anythin else, especially with the way people of african descent are treated. The applications where you can write in your ethnicity are great but unfortunately they are not the majority...

What do you consider yourself to be?  If I were you, I would check both Indian/South Asian and Black if I could, because that is your heritage.  I would then address your West Indian heritage in a diversity statement.  I am a Black Bermudian, so I checked the Black/African American box and then talked about my Bermudian/West Indian background in my diversity statement.

The concept of West Indian is a little confusing because like Hispanic, it an ethnic/cultural/geographic term, not a racial term.  The original poster mentions being Asian and West Indian, but that doesn't address the race of his/her West Indian parent. The best way to communicate West Indian heritage is through a diversity statement, when you can elaborate on your culture and how it has affected you.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

ladi

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2006, 02:06:24 PM »
Quote from: MoniLi

What do you consider yourself to be?  If I were you, I would check both Indian/South Asian and Black if I could, because that is your heritage.  I would then address your West Indian heritage in a diversity statement.  I am a Black Bermudian, so I checked the Black/African American box and then talked about my Bermudian/West Indian background in my diversity statement.

The concept of West Indian is a little confusing because like Hispanic, it an ethnic/cultural/geographic term, not a racial term.  The original poster mentions being Asian and West Indian, but that doesn't address the race of his/her West Indian parent. The best way to communicate West Indian heritage is through a diversity statement, when you can elaborate on your culture and how it has affected you.

Thanks, I agree with you. I consider myself to be of African/East Indian descent.  Unfortunately the online apps on LSAC are not allowing me to check two boxes. That only affects two of my applications though.  The rest of the applications give me the option to write in my ethnicity/race and in that case i just write Caribbean Black/South Asian. Thanks for the suggestion on the diversity statement. Guess I will check Black/African-American on the other two and then expound after in the statement.

True, West Indian isnt specific enough for them.  As unfair as it is, when you are not Hispanic/Latino, it generally doesnt matter if you come from a culture/region that is multiethnic. Especially when your group is so small here.

Thanks for responding.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2006, 03:23:31 PM »
You might also want to PM Annabell Lee.  She's from a similar background, Black and Indian from Trinidad.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn