Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections  (Read 162169 times)

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Tier 3 and 4 Aceptances and Rejections
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 12:16:42 PM »
I just checked Law School Numbers for the first time ans was surprised to see 5 people reporting acceptances to Suffolk already (they all wen complete before me) and one guy just got accepted to New England yesterday.  So I guesss when I check the mailbox daily, I can feel like I catually have a reason to do so. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

sarcastic1

• Sr. Citizen
  • I've got the 1L blues
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 12:23:43 PM »
In at Michigan State...still waiting on DePaul and Wayne State. I applied to several tier 2's but knowingly as reaches.

Good luck to everyone! :)

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »
Congrats sarcastic, hopefully i will get in there too.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 02:16:48 PM »
What a coincidence.  I went home for lunch and saw a thin envelope from Suffolk.  I'm in!  My first acceptance!  Whoo hoo!
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

SWM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 02:31:25 PM »
Congratulations!!

SWM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 05:22:53 PM »
Matthies - Thanks a lot for being so forthcoming in your post.  I have a DUI, and I have been a bit leery regarding how it will impact my chhances for admission. I have applied to many of the schools which have accepted you into their programs, and it is quite a relif to know that those schools are not going to simply toss my application into a wastebasket upon reading my criminal addendum. Lots of Luck.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 08:06:09 PM »
Hi all,

Glad to see your banding together to support each other, there are far fewer of us in the lower LSAT range on these boards then there are in the general population of LS applicants, nice to see a group forming for mutual support.

Iíll chime in with some advice from someone who was in your spot last year, and the year before. I have an LSAT of 150, and 2.9 CUGPA. I failed out of not one, but two colleges in the early 90ís, thus I have more than 10 Fís on my transcripts. Add in a few DUIís during the same perioed, and I was certainly NOT a stellar applicant. Yet, I got my stuff together, dealt with my learning disability (serve dyslexia) and went back to school in the late 90ís and got over 100 credits, all Aís, graduating Suma Cum Laude. Still with the Fís from before my LSAC GPA was/is miserable.

In í03/04 I applied to 23 schools, getting into just 2, Roger Williams and Gonzaga. Neither was a place I wanted to spend the rest of my life, so I passed. Instead I got offered a chance to get my Master of Law Studies (basically an LLM before the JD, but because itís before they call it a Master of Law Studies, rather than a Master of Laws) at the University of Denver College of Law or Vermont Law School. I chose Denver because I was from AZ. Basically you take 2nd and 3rd year law classes, at the law school, with law and LLM students, and compete for the same grades under the same circumstances. Itís not easy, especially since everyone lese in the class has 2-3 years of law school experience on you. Anyway, once I figured out how LS works I did well, getting an A- average my first semester and 4.0 my second. Even sending off a law review article to get published.

So I applied again for 04/05 to 25 schools. This time, with LS grades and a masterís degree from a LS to prove I could do the work. The other thing I did differently from before was I applied to more PT programs. What I did not know in 03 was that PT LSAT scores are NOT submitted to US News, so donít affect ranking. Thus adcoms DO look at your whole ďpackageĒ for admission. Last year I was accepted at Indianapolis, Houston, UNLV, Denver, Seattle, Creighton and a bunch of others.

Anyway, it CAN be done, and you can get in, and you can do well with a ďlowerĒ LSAT score. I have friends from my program last year who have mid 140 LSATs and found the same success I did. Hang in there, and if you donít get in anyplace this year, try again next, but apply to PT programs as well!

Thanks for this great inspirational post. I've applied to several part time programs because my numbers are not amazing. I'm hoping that some of the PT programs I've applied to will look at my whole package and accept me. I like reading stories like yours because it proves that soft factors can make a difference when applying to PT programs.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 11:44:32 PM »
Thanks Matthies!  Congrats on your success!

I wish I had checked off the part-time box as well on some of those apps now!  :-\

Congrats to everyone who's heard so far!  I was invited to an applicant receiption in DC for Albany, any thoughts akcpup?  The school seems great!

PS- This is a great thread!!!!!  I'm so glad it cropped up, thanks!

Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 02:04:13 AM »
congrats to everyone on their acceptances, good luck in the future!

akcpup

• AOL Instant Messenger - akcpup
    • View Profile
    • LSN AKCPUP
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 08:49:04 AM »
Hey Arhdog!

Congrats on the Albany reception... I'm a little hurt that I wasn't invited :(. I like that school a lot... their health law program is especially appealing to me. I haven't been up there to visit yet, but I plan on going soon. Will you be attending in the fall?