Law School Discussion

Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections

Re: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections
« Reply #3090 on: July 30, 2006, 10:45:31 AM »
damn landlords who wont take my money so i can keep my little dog.

That sucks. Why won't they take it?

he doesnt want dogs in the building i guess.  we leave in 4 days and i'm freaking out about this.

Thanks for the info -- here's what we've tried:

1. Offer to pay a LARGE pet deposit, ½ non refundable, ½ refundable.

offered $2000.00

2. Offer to pay “pet rent” of $10-15 a month, and to have this dog on a trial basis, if not problem or complaints, dog can stay. Pet rent is a pure profit for a land lord, I used to allow 1cat or small dog under 25 pounds. Then I found I could make HUGE money if I allowed up to 50 pounds, with $600 deposit, $25 a month pet rent.

offered $250 per month

3. See if your renters insurance (AND GET RENTERS INSURANCE NO EXCUSES DO IT) has a pet damage waiver.

we have a $1 million liability policy

4. Agree to a reasonable fine if any reports you not picking up dog waste on property.

didn't think of this one

5. Agree to have the dog caged if left in the apartment alone for any reasonably long perioed. Agree to an inspection by landlord after 60 days to see there is no damage.

told the owner that since my wife doesn't work, the dog wouldn't ever be alone for more than an hour

6. Agree this is on a trail basis, but be sure to state what would have to happen specifically to end it. Then get to know your neighbors, be supper nice so they feel guilty turning you in if dog barks a lot.

offered a trial basis for first semester

6. Finally, I think you mentioned your wife is disabled, get her MD to write that this dog is a companion/service dog needed for her wellbeing/care. Service animals MUST be allowed in any community, even if they are NO PETS allowed, it’s the law under ADA. Check the local laws to find out the requirements needed for proof.

we didn't think of this.  since we have already made multiple offers and accomodations, we're kind of uncomfortable suddenly springing this on them.  my secretary here in nebraska is going to take him for the first school year, then we'll use that for next year should we decide to stay in the same place.

thanks for all of your help!

Rev - I'm so sorry to hear about your dog situation.  I'm having the same difficulty with my move.  I may have to stay put & commute 1 1/2 hours just to keep her with me.  With traffic, it could easily be 2+.  I, too, am freaking out about it.   :-[

« Reply #3091 on: July 30, 2006, 10:48:31 AM »
and by the way!  A LATE, BUT HEARTY, CONGRATS SKEPTIC!!!!

Just noticed you got into Chapman  ;D ;D ;D

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #3092 on: July 30, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »
rev,

Where the hell did you end up choosing?  Where are you going to go?

cyberrev

« Reply #3093 on: August 05, 2006, 05:57:06 AM »
rev,

u arkansas, little rock.  we just arrived on tuesday and have spent the last three days cramming our *&^% into a tiny apartment and wondering if we have made a terrible mistake

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Fundraiser for Nephew who lost both parents
    • Email
« Reply #3094 on: August 06, 2006, 11:28:30 PM »
rev,

u arkansas, little rock.  we just arrived on tuesday and have spent the last three days cramming our sh*t into a tiny apartment and wondering if we have made a terrible mistake

lol comming down to the wire!! Nerves are rising, anxiety is hovering, yet you can't help but feel excited in anticipation of what become or what is to become!! Good luck and keep us all posted! I start orientation on the 19th! I can't wait to just start already so I can finish already and start with my career!

latinlord

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3095 on: August 06, 2006, 11:46:16 PM »
Hey guys check this out!! This is a list of the highest paid lawyers in the country, check out the law schools they went to!! NONE OF THEM ARE IN THE TOP 14!! Some are Tier 3 and 4!! Letting you all know again that you should be proud to get into any law school. You are what you make  your career to be not your school!! http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0514/132.html

« Reply #3096 on: August 08, 2006, 03:57:35 PM »
As usual, latinlord, you - or your information, at least - are an inspiration.

I've mentioned this before, but perhaps not on this thread: Hardly any of the attorneys I know in the town where I've lived and/or worked for the last 14 years (Jackson, Wyoming) went to top 14 schools. Most went to U Wyoming. All of them are happy, and, by Jackson local standards, well off. My closest attorney friend went to Catholic, guided raft trips his summers at law school, graduated in the middle of his class, and now has a successful fulfilling practice making way maore than any of his ski bum friends, myself included. Maybe not millions, but 100K a year, no more than 50 hours a week, living in one of the prettiest places in the country.

Anyway, I just got to Eugene yesterday, and am excited but remorseful at the same time. Rev, I know what you're going through - after 15 years since undergrad, downsizing to fit with a student budget is difficult. I'm lucky enough to have managed to find a small house though, not an apartment.

Well, good luck, everybody, and check in every once in a while. I don't get on this site too often anymore, but I stop by occasionally and would love to keep abreast of what everyone's doing.

-Ed

« Reply #3097 on: August 08, 2006, 09:13:04 PM »
Hey Rev and Sofa King - just wanted to say I can relate as well... returning to grad school - and its budget -  20 years after undergrad.  But I still get carded whenever I go to a bar - so it's OK  ;)

Sounds like your friend (SK) made some great choices.  How wonderful.

Cheers.  And good luck to y'all.
 8)

latinlord

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3098 on: August 15, 2006, 09:59:16 AM »
Man this thead back in the day used to be buzzing with people and information. Where is everyone??? School is starting, so I guess no one has time to talk anymore  :( :'( :'( :(

hello, hello, helloo??..... :D

supergirluw

« Reply #3099 on: August 15, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »
latinlord...sorry!! i'm too busy getting called on first thing in my first class to reply to lsd. then again, there isn't much to reply to....