Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections  (Read 160782 times)

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
Re: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections
« Reply #2830 on: May 08, 2006, 12:22:17 PM »
Hi,
I have been reading these posts and you all seem really helpful.  I am having conflicting opinions given to me left and right with regard to my current predicament.  Please offer advice.  I have been accepted into Loyola New Orleans and Southern Univ. Law Center.  SULC is 4th tier.  Originally, I felt that Loyola was my best option, but this year they are accepting people that Southern rejected.  Will this effect their ranking?    What would you do? 

The schools are in vastly different parts of the country.   I think in this decision, you have to forget about rankings and go with the best fit for you.  Where do you want to work after graduation?  And if you haven't already, you really need to visit both schools.
The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

— Sir James Matthew Barrie

jra2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2831 on: May 08, 2006, 06:06:40 PM »
Southern University Law Center is in Baton Rouge and Loyola is in New Orleans. I am an equal distance from both.  The real difference between the two is one is 3rd tier and the other is 4th.  Do you think this will make a huge difference?

cyberrev

« Reply #2832 on: May 08, 2006, 06:17:35 PM »
waitlisted today at quinnipiac, and withdrew.

five left.....

nebraska
north carolina central
florida a&m
wyoming
ohio northern

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: May 08, 2006, 07:33:58 PM »
ACCEPTED off of the waitlist, at AVE MARIA with a tiny bit of $$$$ but it was my first scholarship offer so I was very excited haha.  Good luck to everyone who has yet to make their final choices.

...UDM or Ave Maria???

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #2834 on: May 08, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »
ACCEPTED off of the waitlist, at AVE MARIA with a tiny bit of $$$$ but it was my first scholarship offer so I was very excited haha.  Good luck to everyone who has yet to make their final choices.

...UDM or Ave Maria???

How do you feel about attending a school with only a few years worth of alumni?

I wouldn't do it, personally.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #2835 on: May 08, 2006, 08:03:57 PM »

...UDM or Ave Maria???

Wow honestly I don't know. I have heard some incredible things about Ava Maria. I heard they were really tough to get into and accepted people with really hight LSATs. I also heard their bar passage rate is incredible.  This is from its website,

"Ave Maria graduates earned a 100% passage rate on the July 2004 and February 2005 Michigan Bar Exams and a 93% passage rate on the July 2003 Michigan Bar Exam – the highest bar passage rates in the State of Michigan for two consecutive years. Overall, Ave Maria graduates passed the July 2003 and February 2004 bar exams at a combined rate of 91% - a success rate that compares favorably with the pass rate at some of the nation’s premier law schools. Twenty-one graduates of Ave Maria (Classes of 2003, 2004 and 2005 combined) have secured a total of 25 clerkships – nine federal appellate, twelve federal district and four state court clerkships. The remaining graduates have secured placements in national and local law firms, government and state agencies, corporations, academia, and non-profit organizations."

If I had to choose between the two, I know Ava Maria is a new school, but something about it tells me it is doing extremely well and well worth it. I would probibly choose Ava Maria, especially with that bar passage rate. Good luck with your choices!! I'm sure you will still have the opportunity to choose between other schools also.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

jiggedyjared

« Reply #2836 on: May 08, 2006, 09:03:08 PM »
without a doubt... ave maria.  You probably have naples, fl in your future keep in mind.

catalyst81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: May 08, 2006, 09:32:43 PM »
Southern University Law Center is in Baton Rouge and Loyola is in New Orleans. I am an equal distance from both.  The real difference between the two is one is 3rd tier and the other is 4th.  Do you think this will make a huge difference?

In general, I don't think there is a huge difference between 3rd and 4th tiered schools.  I would use other factors besides their ranking when making the decision.

cyberrev

« Reply #2838 on: May 08, 2006, 09:53:19 PM »
without a doubt... ave maria.  You probably have naples, fl in your future keep in mind.

i dunno, the last time i spoke with the dean he said that would be a long way away, if ever.

then he dinged me  :D

michelleinsea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: May 08, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »
not tier3/4 (I know  >:(), but this is my favorite thread so I thought I would let you all know -- the wait is over -- OUT at Hastings....  :-\ I was more disappointed than I anticipated.  Now I must get on to the real decision of NUSL v. Temple.