Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections  (Read 158441 times)

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections
« Reply #2760 on: May 01, 2006, 02:58:10 PM »
accepted off of the waitlist today at NESL, I don't know much about them, but now am trying to decide between Detroit Mercy or NESL.

Detroit Mercy has a much better rep in Metro Detroit/Michigan than NESL will ever have in Boston. It will also cost you less because Metro Detroit is cheaper to live in. I would go to UDM if I were you.

I'm going to have to agree- while I would love to live in Boston, I don't think I would go to NESL just for the perks of living there. I got accepted at NESL a while back and the only reason why I even considered going there was the chance to live in Boston. Honestly, NESL is the bottom feeder school in Boston- it has to contend with many other better schools in the area (probably even outside of Boston as well). It'll be an uphill battle getting any decent jobs in Boston and even more so out of Boston (if you could even manage that, which is highly unlikely).  Of the two, I would go with UDM- from what I hear, they have a really good rep in their area and pretty much control the market there. Your job prospects there would be ten times better. While the thought of living in Detroit is rather bleh, I would prefer to live there and have a good job than go to NESL and dig through the scraps left by Harvard, BC, BU, Northeastern, and Suffolk.

Hopefully this will be a moot argument when you get into Duquesne. ;)

sofa king

• View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 01, 2006, 03:14:18 PM »
I Got in at UConn today! A very big surprise, especially after my rejection from Lewis and Clark and waitlist at Seattle. I just posted another thread about this, but does anyone know a thing about UConn? I sure don't, except that it's ranked a lot higher than any other schools I'm considering. But I'm thinking more and more to ignore that and just go with a school in a region where I would like to live. Problem is, I can't decide whether I want to stay out west or move back east. I was just about to committ to U Oregon.

I know these aren't Tier 3 and 4 schools, but I like you guys and wanted any input you might have. Anyway, rather than tiers, I've lately been looking at schools as Top 14, strong regional schools, and weak regional schools.

Congratulations to Corbabe on NESL, Maka for the Loyola WL, and everyone else who has heard good news.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #2762 on: May 01, 2006, 03:26:34 PM »
Since I have so much love for you all on this post, I wanted to post this information here as some inspiration & motivation. Someone on one of the other posts was trying to convince me (and others) that if you graduate from a t3/t4, you won't be able to find a job. When I showed him that this was untrue, he them began to argue that you wouldn't be able to find a job as a lawyer (that you would basically be a legal secretary or paralegal, temp, insurance work, etc). Well, needless to say I proved him wrong:

This is a link to a survey of law school grads of 2003. http://www.nalp.org/assets/160_selectedfindings04.pdf  178 ABA schools were surveyed out of the 186 schools accredited at the time. They had a 92% response rate. Out of the almost 37,000 grads almost 75% of them had a job where bar passage is REQUIRED (basically this means that 75% of the law grads are practicing lawyers!).

Also, don't think that the legal job market has changed much since then. The NALP released this press release in 2005: http://www.nalp.org/press/details.php?id=55

That link was a press release in 2005 that showed that the market for new law graduates is steady. In 2005, 73% of law graduates obtained a job for which bar passage is required.

So don't listen to what other people tell you & lets have faith that we will succeed.

I found this article which is a bit more updated, it also talks about how the law job markets is growing. This article is from a couple weeks ago!! http://www.nalp.org/press/details.php?id=60
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 01, 2006, 03:29:52 PM »
you couldn't pay me enough to live in Detroit BUT the points raised about NESL are valid concerns to have...like someone said...hopefully it won't matter  :D

congrats sofa king!  i'd go with UoO....I'm not a fan of CT...but the UCONN campus is beautiful and it's a great school.  I just have a feeling you still want to live in the PNW...could be wrong  ;)
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

sofa king

• View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: May 01, 2006, 03:36:30 PM »

congrats sofa king!  i'd go with UoO....I'm not a fan of CT...but the UCONN campus is beautiful and it's a great school.  I just have a feeling you still want to live in the PNW...could be wrong  ;)
[/quote]

You're probably right. I just see myself moving back east eventually and wonder if not accepting UConn's offer will be a missed opportunity. I need to at least find more out about the school.

It seems everything in Hartford is named after an ancestor of mine; I guess the name recognition must have helped.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: May 01, 2006, 03:38:51 PM »
really?  :D that's funny....well...tough choice for sure.  there is definitely outdoor adventure to be had in New England...so you might be better off there...  :-\
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 01, 2006, 03:58:19 PM »
Hey thanks for the posts guys.  It kinda confirmed what I thought.  I would love to live in boston but NESL would not give me as many opportunities as UDM.  Also, I am still hoping for Duquesne as it is about 20 minutes from my house and I am sure my girlfriend would much rather me stay in Pittsburgh than go to Detroit.  Thanks again guys.

cyberrev

« Reply #2767 on: May 01, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
accepted to texas southern today.  no mention of any love ($$$) though....

dammit, i wonder if it's too late in the cycle and all the lovin' is gone

my record is 11-15 so far with 8 left to play.  can still have a winning season!

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: May 01, 2006, 05:38:35 PM »
I think I forgot to post this... U of Akron, on the 28th, by email though apparently they tried to call on the 27th.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: May 01, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »
Congrats everyone on their late acceptances! Hopefully there are lots more on the way!