Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections  (Read 158393 times)

jbs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • my blog
Re: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections
« Reply #2430 on: April 05, 2006, 12:03:42 AM »
is there a high number of unemployed law school graduates?  i would think rankings only matter at the high end jobs, those with high five and six figures.  am i wrong in this assumption?
"i don't know what you're afraid of
i don't know what you've heard
get up, come on, let's do something
dontcha wanna know the Word"

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jbs

OneAppAtATime

• View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: April 05, 2006, 12:22:19 AM »
Yesterday I got an invitation in the mail to apply to Franklin Pierce.  Basically said it's still not too late to apply and they would even waive the app fee. 

What the heck?  Isn't it a little late for this kind of thing?

I got one too.
Decision: Toledo (Full Scholarship)

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: April 05, 2006, 03:54:28 AM »
Rejected from Fordham...and waitlisted at Vermont Law (which surprised me...I got a fee waiver and an email from the asst dean of admissions...though I didnt apply until march). I also got a fee waiver from FP....I would apply, but I don't feel like spending $12 for an LSAC report. I dont think I would even go there if admitted...I'd rather go to NYLS.

cyberrev

« Reply #2433 on: April 05, 2006, 06:48:54 AM »
You’re not alone. Rumors in the pre-law market-place abound. Others received application invitations from Florida Coastal. 

got 'em from fp and western.  wish flcs would give me a decision.  dont think i could afford to go there, but hell, i paid for it and i want it

*shell*

• Sr. Citizen
  • FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2434 on: April 05, 2006, 09:08:07 AM »
well put

Even a few weeks ago I was very much thinking that if I got into my reach school, I would go there.  Now that I've visited the schools I actually got into that are ranked lower, I don't think I'd go to the higher-ranked school even if I was accepted.  I felt very comfortable at both the schools I visited, and for me, it will come down to a matter of location to decide between the two.

On the other hand, the higher-ranked school has an enormous class size and seems to be a fairly competitive environment.  It looks to be full of kids right out of undergrad who didn't get into other local schools that are ranked even higher (which adds to the competitive bit).  The professors, while always referred to as "experts" in their fields, are also often mentioned as not being that great of teachers.  One of their big selling points is about how many of their graduates enter a field of which I have no interest.  I've also heard, in general, more negative things about the school than I have the lower-ranked ones.  I can't picture myself being very happy there.

I've heard many times that I should go to the school that's ranked the highest NO MATTER WHAT, but really - there's more to life than rankings, and if I end up closing some doors by not going to the higher ranking school, so be it - it doesn't mean I have no doors at all.
FSU Law Class of 2009!!!

IluvNY37

• View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: April 05, 2006, 09:20:05 AM »
What do you all think... I'm trying to decide between a 3 tier school that I really like and a few tier 2 schools that I like, but not as much.  I think that I can get better grades at the tier 3 school and the location is better for jobs.  However, the tier 2 schools are ranked higher.  Do you think higher grades at a lower ranked school is better than lower grades at a higher ranked school?... or should i buy into the US news #s and go for the rank?

I think you should go to the school you feel personally suits you best. I think it sucks that a bunch writers that we've never met before dictate where people choose to go to school. I'm not going to discredit the published work of USNEWS as I'm sure employers probably put some weight (albeit small, imho) on them, but in the end, you should follow your gut and to the school you see yourself being both happy and successful. USNEWS won't be there to help you keep good grades in that tier 2 school you chose over a T3 school at which you felt you would've fared better. USNEWS won't be in your study group. USNEWS won't share a beer with you after that killer midterm. USNEWS won't get that job interview for you. Given all this, why do people so much stock in USNEWS? The point is, it's all a personal decision (many other factors should go into your decision- factors that USNEWS doesn't take into consideration) No matter what school you go to, it is up to you to succeed. Going to a T2 over a T3 does NOT equal automatic success/happiness. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks!  I think your right.  I don't think that a higher ranked school will automatically give me greater chances of success.  There ARE other factors to take into consideration.  Afterall, I know what's most important to me, and as long as I'm happy with the school I choose, regardless of the rankings of someone else's preferences, that is what matters.

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: April 05, 2006, 12:23:20 PM »
Just wanted to add that there's definitely NO assurance that you'll get better grades at a lower ranked school.  A LOT of students who get scholarships to tier 3 & 4 schools, don't end up keeping them.  :-\  Free ride for the first year, then pay through the nose for years 2 & 3.

I'm leaning towards my tier 2 acceptance over my tier 4.  (I think... ???)
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: April 05, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »
Just wanted to add that there's definitely NO assurance that you'll get better grades at a lower ranked school.  A LOT of students who get scholarships to tier 3 & 4 schools, don't end up keeping them.  :-\  Free ride for the first year, then pay through the nose for years 2 & 3.

I'm leaning towards my tier 2 acceptance over my tier 4.  (I think... ???)

Veganchick, it looks like Chapman offered you a lot of money. Is there any reason why you aren't really considering them? From your other posts, it seems like you were trying to decide btwn Whittier & Pepperdine.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #2438 on: April 05, 2006, 12:27:51 PM »
I think that the prospect of investing $200,000 in a law school education based upon an arbitrary magazine ranking system is not a very wise investment.  A person is going to spend 3-4 years getting their legal education, so I would think that you'd want to go to the place where you feel comfortable.  For me, I went on unofficial tours of the schools I got into.  Sat around the lounges, sat in the back of some classes and then made my decision based upon which school seemed to fit me best.  In the end, after looking at the course catalogs of the schools that I applied to, I realized that the curriculum of all of the schools were roughly the same.  They all teach criminal procedure, health law, Tax, property, etc.  So, since there is no practical difference in actual courses offered, what is the difference.  For me, I'd rather drive a nice Pick-up truck that gets me where I want to go and costs less than drive a mercedes that gets me to the same place, but costs way more and doesn't fit my personality.  I believe everything happens for a reason and that we all end up where we're supposed to.  So to base my happiness on the USNEWS ranking system seems to me to be quite lame.  But that's just me.

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: April 05, 2006, 01:04:37 PM »
They're both tier 4, but Whittier offered a full ride (Chap 80%) - and I think I like Costa Mesa better than Orange... close to the beach, where I live.  I've also sat in on lots of Whittier classes, and the professors are great. (good veg food in cafeteria too!)  But it's all so confusing.  :o  I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing.
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.