Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections  (Read 161297 times)

Nellbelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jckulllman@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jckullman@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections
« Reply #2420 on: April 04, 2006, 04:42:36 PM »
Today I have been kind of looking around at different schools and noticed that many had deadlines of over a month ago. Many have seat deposits due in the next couple weeks and many are in the process of having accepted student days and receptions. So my question is why are there SO many pending apps out there and for me I have hit a standstill, I have not heard from any of my remaining schools in the last MONTH. I have four just dangling out there and one like I have mentioned before is a definite rejection and another is a very probable rejection. This is just driving me crazy. It keeps my hopes up and also frustrates me as well. I still am going to send in my fl. coastal deposit this friday as they are right now my top contender.

The librarian gig isn't all its cracked up to be!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=nell

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2421 on: April 04, 2006, 04:47:54 PM »
Yesterday I got an invitation in the mail to apply to Franklin Pierce.  Basically said it's still not too late to apply and they would even waive the app fee. 

What the heck?  Isn't it a little late for this kind of thing?

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2422 on: April 04, 2006, 04:56:02 PM »
Yesterday I got an invitation in the mail to apply to Franklin Pierce.  Basically said it's still not too late to apply and they would even waive the app fee. 

I've been hearing of a lot of people getting the fee waiver this late from FP. I would apply- it couldn't hurt anything- that's if you have any remote interest in attending (I wouldn't apply somewhere you'd have no inclination of attending and taking a spot of someone who really wants to go there). My guess is that they're doing this to increase their gpa/lsat numbers.

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: April 04, 2006, 04:57:12 PM »

I'm still getting those got one yesterday from Golden Gate and one today from Barry.. ???

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: April 04, 2006, 05:27:45 PM »
Hello all...if anyone is interested, I attended the student's day at Tulsa this past weekend.  I was very impressed.  If anyone has any question I might be able to answer, pm me or post away.

Good luck everyone on your remaining apps.  Hopefully with the seat deposits coming due soon it will speed along some decisions.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2425 on: April 04, 2006, 06:23:51 PM »

I still get an email or something in the mail from random schools every other week or so, and I started law school in Jan. Um hello? Do you people not check LSAC to see if we have matriculated or not? You clearly check them for my numbers!
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

IluvNY37

• View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: April 04, 2006, 06:54:19 PM »
What do you all think... I'm trying to decide between a 3 tier school that I really like and a few tier 2 schools that I like, but not as much.  I think that I can get better grades at the tier 3 school and the location is better for jobs.  However, the tier 2 schools are ranked higher.  Do you think higher grades at a lower ranked school is better than lower grades at a higher ranked school?... or should i buy into the US news #s and go for the rank?

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2427 on: April 04, 2006, 06:56:53 PM »

Well I might consider applying if they had mentioned money, but no!  My H won't live in NH, so we are headed to sunny southern CA!!!

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2428 on: April 04, 2006, 07:19:53 PM »
What do you all think... I'm trying to decide between a 3 tier school that I really like and a few tier 2 schools that I like, but not as much.  I think that I can get better grades at the tier 3 school and the location is better for jobs.  However, the tier 2 schools are ranked higher.  Do you think higher grades at a lower ranked school is better than lower grades at a higher ranked school?... or should i buy into the US news #s and go for the rank?

I think you should go to the school you feel personally suits you best. I think it sucks that a bunch writers that we've never met before dictate where people choose to go to school. I'm not going to discredit the published work of USNEWS as I'm sure employers probably put some weight (albeit small, imho) on them, but in the end, you should follow your gut and to the school you see yourself being both happy and successful. USNEWS won't be there to help you keep good grades in that tier 2 school you chose over a T3 school at which you felt you would've fared better. USNEWS won't be in your study group. USNEWS won't share a beer with you after that killer midterm. USNEWS won't get that job interview for you. Given all this, why do people so much stock in USNEWS? The point is, it's all a personal decision (many other factors should go into your decision- factors that USNEWS doesn't take into consideration) No matter what school you go to, it is up to you to succeed. Going to a T2 over a T3 does NOT equal automatic success/happiness. Good luck with your decision.

jashdey

« Reply #2429 on: April 04, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »
Even a few weeks ago I was very much thinking that if I got into my reach school, I would go there.  Now that I've visited the schools I actually got into that are ranked lower, I don't think I'd go to the higher-ranked school even if I was accepted.  I felt very comfortable at both the schools I visited, and for me, it will come down to a matter of location to decide between the two.

On the other hand, the higher-ranked school has an enormous class size and seems to be a fairly competitive environment.  It looks to be full of kids right out of undergrad who didn't get into other local schools that are ranked even higher (which adds to the competitive bit).  The professors, while always referred to as "experts" in their fields, are also often mentioned as not being that great of teachers.  One of their big selling points is about how many of their graduates enter a field of which I have no interest.  I've also heard, in general, more negative things about the school than I have the lower-ranked ones.  I can't picture myself being very happy there.

I've heard many times that I should go to the school that's ranked the highest NO MATTER WHAT, but really - there's more to life than rankings, and if I end up closing some doors by not going to the higher ranking school, so be it - it doesn't mean I have no doors at all.