Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections  (Read 161980 times)

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections
« Reply #1070 on: February 11, 2006, 12:58:37 PM »
awesome jon!

this is a great cycle for you!  some tough decison ahead ;)

what an amazing problem to have! ;)

CONGRATS!

Thanks AH, Yeah it's gonna be a real tough decision, Franklin Pierce is only about 35-40 minutes from where I live in Mass....but I'm still leaning towards Suffolk ..who knows, will hold off my decision until I hear from the rest then hit the road and visit each school atleast twice.

SaTaNBuGG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 11, 2006, 01:15:43 PM »
In at Rutgers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 11, 2006, 01:32:20 PM »
In at Rutgers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!! MeowMix ..more goodnews on the way for you I bet.

SaTaNBuGG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 11, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »
Thanks Jontor.

I really considered most of the schools I applied to long shots, but god thing they also look at soft factors.  I did ask for and was granted interviews at a few.  Soo excited!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #1074 on: February 11, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »
Latinlord,

The easy answer to your question is; yes, no, maybe. Itís been awhile since I looked at other programs. I seem to remember most that I saw did not let you use MLS credits towards the JD. Meaning you would have to re-take those classes in a JD program. And that makes sense because youíre getting a degree when you graduate; you canít double count credits when youíre also getting a degree for them. But at a lot of programs, like mine, all you can take is elective classes anyway. I could choose from like 35 classes that dealt with natural resource law. If the program was business law MLS you could choose from electives in that area from that school (each school that offers the degree will likely have MLS/LLM degrees tailored to what they specialize in).

There are a few that require you to take doctrinal courses (doctrinal course are the first year law classes, Torts, Contracts, Civ Pro etc.) Those I would avoid, because you will have to take them again in the JD. I would look for programs that allow you to just take elective or upper level law classes.

So here is how it worked out for me. After 24 credits I got a degree from the law school; a Master of Resource Law Studies. I basically took 8 classes specializing in environmental and water law. So I got a Masters degree in one year (where else can you do that?). But I canít double count those because I have this HUGE diploma on my wall (law school diplomas are like twice the size of UG ones, itís an ego thing I think). But now that I am in the JD program, I donít have to worry about electives in natural resource law, because I have taken most of them. I can now use the elective credits I would have had to use in the JD program on natural resources on something else instead, like specialized classes in real estate law, or taking more ďbar coursesĒ. Itís basically like getting an extra year of law school to specialize in some legal field. So when youíre all done, youíll have both a Masters in law, and a JD, and firms love extra credentials they can put next to your name on the webpage :). Does that make sense?

If you find some programs youíre interested in post the links here and Iíll be glad to take a look at them and see how their program compares to mine.

So far I am having trouble finding programs. I have emailed a few schools asking if they have a MLS program. So far the only one I am sure about near me is Drexel. Here is the link to check out, I emailed them asking for more information. Do you know of any schools with programs around the North Eastern part of the US?? Thanks

http://www.drexel.edu/law/mlsprogram.asp
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

JES

« Reply #1075 on: February 11, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »
Latinlord,

I did some research on schools with your numbers and came up with these three that show a 50% chance of admissions for you:

1.  University of Detroit - 13 of 23 admitted with your numbers range. Evening program offered.
2.  University of North Dakota - 3 of 7 admitted with your numbers. Diversity tuition waivers advertised and they have VERY few minorities at this school. They show zero enrolled Hispanic students.
3.  Vermont Law School - 3 of 8 admitted. May have PT option.

I'm sure you know some of this, and actually I think you will get some admits from the schools you applied to. I see you did apply to Detroit...you might consider asking them to consider you for part time. A late app to North Dakota (if you can handle the weather) may be an idea. It is a state school, and you may get in-state tuition, a waiver etc. If not right away, then in year two if you don't transfer. Just some ideas....

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 11, 2006, 03:57:05 PM »
in at touro with 8500 renewable if im in the top 25%...

how do i withdraw so i can let someone else have it?  I'd hate to tie up the waitlist or something if I know for sure i'm not going.

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #1077 on: February 11, 2006, 04:38:37 PM »
Michigan State sent me an invite to a New Student Reception/Open House for Fall 2006 students on March 25th. I haven't even gotten a decision from them yet, so I'm wondering if this is something they send to all applicants or to only admitted students.
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 11, 2006, 06:26:10 PM »
Hi all.  I have been gone for a while, in the process of moving, so I thought I would catch everyone up.  Congrats to everyone on their acceptances, sorry to hear about any dings, and hoping that everyone gets their #1 choice.

Washburn, reject from my alma mater (thanks guys).
Western New England, waitlisted, wrote and withdrew.
U of Dayton, file put on hold, said that they would review it later.
U of North Dakota, accepted.
Mississippi College, accepted.

Good luck to everyone on the rest of the cycle, keep you chin up and your head down.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #1079 on: February 11, 2006, 08:02:20 PM »
CONGRATS everyone!  Lots of good news today!

Again nothing in my mailbox.  Though I am a bit angry at Richmond.

Been complete there since 11/29 and I got a postcard today (computer generated) from the pres of the Student Bar Association noting how beautiful the campus is (picture on front) and that he hopes I have a successful application process, then closed the letter by saying he hopes I have the opportunity to join the Richmond Law Family.  Now, this is really sweet and all, but I know how beautiful the campus is!  I hope I have the opportunity to attend as well!  Why have you still not looked at my app two and a half months later?!?!?!

WHY ARE YOU TEASING ME RICHMOND! WHY!
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg