Law School Discussion

Tier 3 and 4 Acceptances and Rejections

tobias

• View Profile
Re: Tier 3 and 4 Aceptances and Rejections
« Reply #620 on: January 22, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »
Lawgirl -

I found a similar discrepancy in my application to Cardozo with regard to which class I was applying to. I emailed the admissions office, and the dean of admissions wrote me back - I was concerned that it had gotten to that level, but he was very cool about the whole thing. Anyway, he called with an offer a few weeks later so in retrospect I don't think it was a big deal at all. I'd let them know so there is no confusion on their end. Good luck!!!

drama gal

• D-Jet
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 22, 2006, 05:10:54 PM »
First, the lor's make a huge difference in how your application is viewed. Yes, it is better to have Professors write them since they are in academia.  Yes, it is better to waive your rights to view your lor, especially if it is glowing.

However, while it seems his lsat score is his major setback, he does have a strong gpa and is considered a urm. Is it unreasonable to think it is not something else, if also in fact he has a good PS?

My point is: If in fact minorities are able on average to get into a number of schools with lower lsat scores, the fact that he has a 141 and the school's range that he is applying to are in the 140's, I just can't seem to understand why he has not got into at least one school yet.  Although, we are midway through the cycle and there is still hope, I would think he would have been accepted to at least one school so far since he applied so early when there were alot of seats available.  It just seems more likely that is when they would take some one with lower numbers.  Not necessarily at the end of the cycle with fewer seats available.

All of which just made me curious to other aspects of his application, that's all, such as his lor's. 

But then again, all he needs is one acceptance and when it comes I think the board is going to rock. ;D

« Reply #622 on: January 22, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »
For what it's worth, I've always been under the impression you should waive your right - otherwise the schools might think the professor won't be as candid as they might otherwise. Some professors will show you their letter anyway, but I don't consider it a bad sign if they don't.

I waived my rights to see mine as well, I just didn't no if it made that much of a difference to the school.

kmpnj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #623 on: January 22, 2006, 06:33:13 PM »
I have to say that I am extremely pleased by the good feelings generated by this board.  It's nice to see that there are some decent, soon to be 1Ls on this site.

Latin Lord-

I know you're going to get in somewhere.  you seem like a reasonably intelligent guy and there is something to be said for persistence.  When a law school is finally smart enough to admit you, let me be the 1st to volunteer to buy you a brew.  My man, you deserve it.

Keep the Faith, Good News is just around the corner.

vitaminwater

« Reply #624 on: January 22, 2006, 06:37:46 PM »
latinlord,

i'm buying you the second brew!

Skeptic

• I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 22, 2006, 09:07:51 PM »
hey latinlord,

just so you know, im rooting for you!

i don't think these schools know how dedicated and optimistic you've been in this whole process

best wishes ;D

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #626 on: January 22, 2006, 09:19:39 PM »
Although Latin Lord has a 3.5 gpa, they may think his major was not challenging enough for him since he is already of Latin descent.  Also, one other key factor, we do not know what his lor's state. 

I posted this in another thread, that this means you should highlight your non-Spanish achievements. I have an Iranian friend who took Farsi classes to boost his GPA and he told me just how easy it is for a native speaker to get straight As in the subject so I bet adcomms know this too. It seems that the strongest thing youve got going for you is how bad you want this and how hard youd try. And from what I've read about this process it seems like your GPA shows more of how hard a worker you are while your LSAT is supposed to show how well you'd do. So make sure you let them know that you didn't just coast in Spanish classes your whole UG career. Good luck!

« Reply #627 on: January 23, 2006, 04:03:44 AM »
Although Latin Lord has a 3.5 gpa, they may think his major was not challenging enough for him since he is already of Latin descent.  Also, one other key factor, we do not know what his lor's state. 

I posted this in another thread, that this means you should highlight your non-Spanish achievements. I have an Iranian friend who took Farsi classes to boost his GPA and he told me just how easy it is for a native speaker to get straight As in the subject so I bet adcomms know this too. It seems that the strongest thing youve got going for you is how bad you want this and how hard youd try. And from what I've read about this process it seems like your GPA shows more of how hard a worker you are while your LSAT is supposed to show how well you'd do. So make sure you let them know that you didn't just coast in Spanish classes your whole UG career. Good luck!

I have to agree with this. My guess is the adcoms aren't putting much weight on your GPA because they don't view it as being very challenging for you. They probably don't see you having to work too hard to get that GPA. (not saying it WAS super easy or that you're not capable of getting good grades, but that is likely the view of the adcoms). Combine that with your LSAT score...which I imagine they are viewing "he took it TWICE and still is in the low 140's" showing that one low score isn't like, a fluke or something.

upNdown

• My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 23, 2006, 01:12:27 PM »

Just curious Latin Lord, and I apologize if you already disclosed this information on the board, but who did you get to write your letters of recommendation, were you privey to view them before they were sent, and did you waive your rights to view them?

I had 2 professors write me lOR's. One of them let me see it. It was amazing, the other one, I never got to see, but I am sure that it was good because I had her for 3 classes and she really seemed to like me. Also I attended West Chester University of Pennsylvania not the one in CT.

Did you waive your rights to see them on the LOR form?

Yea I really don't think it makes a difference either, but yes I did waive my rights. I didn't want to see inconspicuous in anyway. One professor as I said was kind enough to show me the one he wrote and as I stated it was exceptional. If I can find it somewhere in my house I think I will post it, I must have read it 100 times though, to give myself a pepup :)

I'm still pulling for you, dude.  Hang in there - the acceptance will come.  Its only a matter of time.

« Reply #629 on: January 23, 2006, 01:57:03 PM »
I'm so f-ing pissed right now... I just got waitlisted at Whittier  ??? I am well above their median LSAT and even the 75% GPA and I got put on a damn waitlist... what the hell is up with that?

ETA: and Chiasu gave me like 95% of getting in  >:(