Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Target low 170s--should I take a course?  (Read 400 times)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
Target low 170s--should I take a course?
« on: December 01, 2005, 04:30:28 AM »
Hey everyone...first off I just thought I'd say these boards seems a lot more encouraging and supportive than many others I've read online. For example, on the Princenton Review discussion boards it seems like the answers are always "no chance in hell," "no chance at HYP," "you're screwed," etc...but I digress.

I took two timed practice LSATs before opening a prep book and I got a 159 on both. Then, after studying from the Princeton Review book, I got a 156 on one of the PR's "simulated" LSATs in the back of the book (go figure...i think the test had a lot of ambiguities but whatever). My weakest section by far is Logic Games. Ive been studying the Logic Games Bible and doing some practice. 

Recently, took the arguments and reading comprehension sections from two practice LSATs and did quite well (not strictly timed though). On one of the tests, I got only five questions wrong total on the three sections, and on the other, fifteen wrong...Meaning, figuring in the current avg of 6-7 logic games questions I usually get wrong, I would have scored approximately a 171 and 163, respectively.

Yesterday, I took an entire LSAT without any breaks and got a 165. Timing seemed to be the main issue, as I got 6 wrong on one of the arguments section because I couldn't do 2-3 of the arguments. I also scored lower on Reading Comp. than i would have hoped.

In any case, based on an analysis I feel like I can improve hopefully as I have tons of room for improvement in terms of timing and definitely Logic Games...My questions:

A) Should I study myself (which is what I'm inclined to do...taking tons of practice tests, etc) or take a prep course. I fear that a prep course will inundate me with useless information that will further confuse the progress I've made studying over the past month or so.

B) Do I have a chance to score a 172-173, considering I have nothing else occupying me between now and February?

thanks for bearing with me in what was a very convoluted way of asking a simple question.

lawgirl2007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Target low 170s--should I take a course?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 10:11:40 AM »
Hey, I don't think you necessarily need to take a course... I had a friend who score in the low 170s, and she self-studied. I think she said her first score was a 159.. and she also said she thought the PR tests were harder than the real LSATs.

I think you have a great chance of receiving that or better from self-study.

ceb

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:37:27 AM »
Whatever you do, do not take Kaplan.  A 165 is a great starting score, and I don't believe that they will help you improve.  I actually quit my course because it was clear it wasn't helping me AT ALL (oh, and a Kaplan employee told me this as well). 

Self-study is definitley an option. Get the LGB and the LRB.  Get the most recent REAL LSATs and take as many as possible.  For high scorers, it is perhaps most important to feel comfortable and confident going in. Good luck!

nowayman

• Sr. Citizen
  • "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:42:25 AM »
Yes and yes.

I went from a 158 to a 172, myself.  I now score higher, too.  Self study is fine, as long as you make sure you are actually using your time effectively, and to that extent it looks like you are off to a good start.

I would encourage you to focus primarily on games.  Do them, and then do the same games again.  Do a game when you wake up and one before you go to sleep. 

Time yourself.  When you can get all the answers on a game section correct in 35 min try to do it in 30.  When 30 try 25.  When 25 make it 20.

If you scored 159 cold and games was your worst section you can get above a 170.

That being said, practice the other sections too :P

Ignore any tests that are "simulated."  They are crap.
Michigan, Class of 2008.5!

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:51:30 PM »
The PR test pretty much sucks. See my blog, I linked to a thread here that pretty much tears it apart.
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 06:51:55 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their advice :)