Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Picking Edwards Gives Kerry a Boost-Poll  (Read 3427 times)

jgruber

Re: Picking Edwards Gives Kerry a Boost-Poll
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 11:32:16 AM »
Actually, I'm not being facetious.  You have suggested I'm in denial by criticizing the way dubya was 'elected'.  I'm suggesting you are in denial by dismissing the serious questions about the election process.

I know you are simply being facetious; however, there are people in this country who made the same proclamation with the last election.  I actually find it quite humorous that Alec Baldwin and Eddie Vetter are still living in the United States.  On the other hand I do have to hold Johnny Depp as a man of his word after he left and moved to France.

I, however, will be quite exuberant if Bush wins.

Jason

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 02:21:51 PM »
Oops, sorry for the misspelling -- to be honest, I was never a Pearl Jam fan anyways.   ;D

As for my name, I am in the military and when we deploy (as I am deployed right now) we are left with little means of entertainment in the free-time we actually receive.  However, one of the things we do for free time is play console video games.  A game some of my friends and I frequently play is "Socom: Navy Seals II" and in this game my moniker is "Section Eight".  Section Eight is a military term coined during WWII which provided for the discharge of personnel who was unfit for military service.  However, today it is frequently used to portray a “crazy military person.”  To make a long story short, it is just a name I used in a video game.

strange that you would still be a Bush supporter.  he has cut military funding so much...  now he is saying he will give personell a raise so he looks good -too bad he had already cut it so it isn't like it is a REAL increase!! dude is an idiot.  i work for the VA and our patients are screwed because of all of the budget cuts.   >:(
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 02:27:32 PM »
That comment was for Lydia, not you jeffjoe.  And I said you were in denial that Bush was elected, not how he was elected.  And what did I dismiss?

Actually, I'm not being facetious.  You have suggested I'm in denial by criticizing the way dubya was 'elected'.  I'm suggesting you are in denial by dismissing the serious questions about the election process.

I know you are simply being facetious; however, there are people in this country who made the same proclamation with the last election.  I actually find it quite humorous that Alec Baldwin and Eddie Vetter are still living in the United States.  On the other hand I do have to hold Johnny Depp as a man of his word after he left and moved to France.

Jason

jgruber

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004, 02:30:35 PM »
in our other discussion you dismiss my points about the election by accusing me of being in denial.  I just wanted to point out that it worked both ways.

So nada problem.

That comment was for Lydia, not you jeffjoe.  And I said you were in denial that Bush was elected, not how he was elected.  And what did I dismiss?

Jason

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2004, 02:41:25 PM »
I am a Bush supporter because of my conservative views, not because I am in the military.  In case you couldn't tell by me posting here, I plan to leave the military soon to pursue a career in law.  However, since you brought it up -- I have gained an increase in over 25% in pay since Bush has been in office.  In comparison, the median civilian household has declined 3.4% in the same time.

Also, there is no way in the world the military would be treated any better under Kerry (financially atleast), then they would under Bush.

In addition, I want to point out my true intentions with this upcoming election.  I am not a huge Bush fan; however, I am a Republican.  I seriously went into my thought process regarding the impending election with an open mind regarding the candidates.  I believe, based on my political beliefs, George W. Bush will do a better job then John Kerry.  However, with that said I would have voted for Joe Lieberman over Bush.  I believe John Kerry is too "liberal" in his political positions.  I assume that is what most of you like about thim though.

Oops, sorry for the misspelling -- to be honest, I was never a Pearl Jam fan anyways.   ;D

As for my name, I am in the military and when we deploy (as I am deployed right now) we are left with little means of entertainment in the free-time we actually receive.  However, one of the things we do for free time is play console video games.  A game some of my friends and I frequently play is "Socom: Navy Seals II" and in this game my moniker is "Section Eight".  Section Eight is a military term coined during WWII which provided for the discharge of personnel who was unfit for military service.  However, today it is frequently used to portray a “crazy military person.”  To make a long story short, it is just a name I used in a video game.

strange that you would still be a Bush supporter.  he has cut military funding so much...  now he is saying he will give personell a raise so he looks good -too bad he had already cut it so it isn't like it is a REAL increase!! dude is an idiot.  i work for the VA and our patients are screwed because of all of the budget cuts.   >:(

buster

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2004, 03:36:21 PM »
Please be more specific regarding your conservative views and how Bush's policies conform to them. I ask this not to be snide, but because I believe that by and large Bush has not governed as a traditional conservative and am curious to hear your take on that view.

I am a Bush supporter because of my conservative views

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2004, 11:07:28 PM »
Please be more specific regarding your conservative views and how Bush's policies conform to them. I ask this not to be snide, but because I believe that by and large Bush has not governed as a traditional conservative and am curious to hear your take on that view.

Uh, I think he has: trying to amend the constitution to ban gay marriage is pretty conservative, as is his anti-abortion pro abstinence BS (and might I add it has really worked considering HIV is as high as ever), cutting taxes to help the rich, offering corporate loopholes to avoid paying taxes in the first place, deregulation, and the list goes on.  oh, and bankrupting our country like his dad and reagan, leaving it for another democrat to have to clean it up (clinton), only for another corrupt republican to f it up again..  sorry, i have had a bad day  :(
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

Lydia

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.5/170/Penn
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kiwigrrl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 11:31:57 PM »
I think, if I understand Buster's question, that the response depends on whether you're talking about social vs. economic conservativism.  Traditionally, conservatives tend to believe in "small gov't" - somewhat along the lines of what we would now think of as libertarians.  Indeed, many conservative Republicans oppose the constitutional ban on gay marriage - not because they believe in equal rights, but because they are opposed to ammending the constitution on a whim.  However, the Republican party has gained a lot of support from the "nascar dads" and other socially conservative people by playing up the anti-choice, anti-gay right, anti-AA sentiment.  So basically, you have poor people (primarily white men, but not entirely) voting against their own economic interests because conservative Republicans go on about "traditional family values", and these poor and middle class-ish whites vote for that.

Personally, I don't think Bush, himself, could care less if abortion is legal or not.  He does, however, care about getting the anti-abortion Christian fundamentalist vote, so he'll oppose reproductive freedom every chance he gets. 
Vote Kerry Nov. 2! Send Bush to Mars in 2004!

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2004, 08:05:29 AM »
buster,
If you would look to the third paragraph of my post you would see where I said, "I am not a huge Bush fan," basically, by me saying that I support Bush because of my conservative views I am saying, “I support the Republican because he is far more conservative than the Democrat.”
   However, as to my conservative views – I do believe conservatively regarding: the economy, abortion, gay marriage, death penalty, welfare, and the military.

Regards,
Jason

buster

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 11:52:07 AM »
“I support the Republican because he is far more conservative than the Democrat.”

Fair enough.

However, as to my conservative views – I do believe conservatively regarding: the economy, abortion, gay marriage, death penalty, welfare, and the military.

I don't think Bush has been particularly conservative in terms of the economy or the military (welfare hasn't really been an issue), but I suppose that's why you're not very happy with him. Is that reasonably accurate?