Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Picking Edwards Gives Kerry a Boost-Poll  (Read 3416 times)

jgruber

Picking Edwards Gives Kerry a Boost-Poll
« on: July 10, 2004, 09:51:51 PM »
I guess middle America might be changing their minds.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=5635787

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry got a boost in the polls after picking Sen. John Edwards as his running mate and would beat President Bush if the election was held now, according to a new Newsweek poll.

The Kerry-Edwards ticket is leading Bush and Vice President male private part Cheney by a margin of six percentage points, 51 percent to 45 percent, the poll said.

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Picking Edwards Gives Kerry a Boost-Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 10:19:54 PM »
I don't know if they are changing their minds; however, when the vice-presidential candidate is selected they always get a "burst" in numbers.  What you may not realize is that Kerry's selection of Edward has provided a smaller "burst" then usual.  For example, when Bill Clinton announced his selection of Al Gore as his running-mate his numbers jumped by 19%, even Al Gore's selection of Joe Lieberman caused a 17% increase.  However, John Kerry's jump after selecting John Edwards as his running mate has only created a 9% jump.
As time goes by, the emotional rush of the vice presidential selection subsides and the numbers will even out to true intentions.

Lydia

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.5/170/Penn
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kiwigrrl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 10:40:24 PM »
Anyone else plan on fleeing the country if Bush gets re-selected?

Me, I'm planning to move to Barcelona, sit in cafes all day, smoke cigarettes, drink wine, and write poetry.  I'll make a wonderful expatriate.

Obviously, this will derail my law school plans, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Vote Kerry Nov. 2! Send Bush to Mars in 2004!

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 10:43:07 PM »
You're right.  Denial is hard to give up.

I don't know if they are changing their minds; however, when the vice-presidential candidate is selected they always get a "burst" in numbers.  What you may not realize is that Kerry's selection of Edward has provided a smaller "burst" then usual.  For example, when Bill Clinton announced his selection of Al Gore as his running-mate his numbers jumped by 19%, even Al Gore's selection of Joe Lieberman caused a 17% increase.  However, John Kerry's jump after selecting John Edwards as his running mate has only created a 9% jump.
As time goes by, the emotional rush of the vice presidential selection subsides and the numbers will even out to true intentions.

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 10:45:46 PM »
I know you are simply being facetious; however, there are people in this country who made the same proclamation with the last election.  I actually find it quite humorous that Alec Baldwin and Eddie Vetter are still living in the United States.  On the other hand I do have to hold Johnny Depp as a man of his word after he left and moved to France.

I, however, will be quite exuberant if Bush wins.

Jason

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 10:48:21 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/24684.htm

This reflects the same thing I was saying above.

I find it ironic that you are insistent upon the fact that I am in denial that Kerry may win this election, yet, you were quick to let someone talk you out of your personal intentions of voting for a third party.  You show strong determination in one stance and well the exact opposite in the other.

You're right.  Denial is hard to give up.

Lydia

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.5/170/Penn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 10:57:04 PM »
Actually I'm more serious than you might think...It's Eddie Vedder, by the way. Not Vetter.

Why in god's name do you call yourself Section Eight?

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 11:08:09 PM »
Oops, sorry for the misspelling -- to be honest, I was never a Pearl Jam fan anyways.   ;D

As for my name, I am in the military and when we deploy (as I am deployed right now) we are left with little means of entertainment in the free-time we actually receive.  However, one of the things we do for free time is play console video games.  A game some of my friends and I frequently play is "Socom: Navy Seals II" and in this game my moniker is "Section Eight".  Section Eight is a military term coined during WWII which provided for the discharge of personnel who was unfit for military service.  However, today it is frequently used to portray a “crazy military person.”  To make a long story short, it is just a name I used in a video game.

Lydia

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.5/170/Penn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 11:16:26 PM »
Oh...here in Philadelphia "Section 8" refers to a housing development program in which the city buys houses from homeowners, then sells/rents them to lower-income families.  For racial and political reasons, white people here in Philly hate Section 8 because it tends to minorities (and, whites argue, crime, etc.) to "their" neighborhoods.  Therefore, it surprised me that someone who seemed to espouse Section 8 would be right wing...but now it makes sense.

Did Eddie Vedder ever say he would leave the country if Bush got elected?