Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice on Law School Picks  (Read 2732 times)

Omey

• If it dont make dollaz, IT DONT MAKE SENSE!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Omeezy450
    • View Profile
Advice on Law School Picks
« on: July 10, 2004, 06:25:38 PM »
So I got my LSATs back and made a 156, much lower then what I was getting on my practice tests.  Although, I do have a 3.8 from a top University.  Also, Im applying as a minority.  I know if I want Georgetown or Univ of Michigan Im gonna have to retake it, but is there a chance of University of Washington St. Louis or University of Minnesota?  Please be honest and realistic need to decide on whether to retake or not.

Thanks guys

UVaOK

• The 80's Rule
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Law School Picks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 07:01:32 PM »
Looking at Minnesota's 25/75 split (160/165) and its favorable acceptance rate, I would say that your numbers, taken together with your URM status, give you a reasonable shot.  I am not too sure about Wash U, although I cannot imagine your chances there would be much worse than at Minnesota.
Looking for a way to get rid of this pesky $170,000...

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Cavalier135

inthesun

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 07:03:55 PM »
Schools like Berkeley and U of Washington (in Seattle) will take a low LSAT and a good GPA.  I know there are others. 

thinknpositive

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 07:24:30 PM »
So I got my LSATs back and made a 156, much lower then what I was getting on my practice tests.  Although, I do have a 3.8 from a top University.  Also, Im applying as a minority.  I know if I want Georgetown or Univ of Michigan Im gonna have to retake it, but is there a chance of University of Washington St. Louis or University of Minnesota?  Please be honest and realistic need to decide on whether to retake or not.

Thanks guys

Check out their respective admission indices.  Plug your numbers into the formula and weigh your output against the 75% LSAT/GPA output.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 07:35:59 PM »
What about the opposite.  I've got a 2.5 GPA to deal with.  Do you know?

Thanks...
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

Omey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 07:38:43 PM »
Hey ThinknPositive how do I plug my numbers in and measure against different schools indices?

thinknpositive

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 07:43:22 PM »
What about the opposite.  I've got a 2.5 GPA to deal with.  Do you know?

Thanks...

dog,

certain schools are lsat whores, check out their respective indices.  
Compare GPA 's constant to LSAT's constant.  

Here's 2000's.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/lawschools00.htm

thinknpositive

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 07:44:43 PM »
Hey ThinknPositive how do I plug my numbers in and measure against different schools indices?

Use a calculator?   ;)

The only two variables are your LSAT and your GPA.  Now plug in the 75% LSAT/GPA for the school you are interested in.  If your index is higher, then you're in good shape.

Omey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 08:15:53 PM »
yea, like whats the formula I use? Does it vary from school to school, and if it does where do I get that info. (Sorry if Im getting annoying just new to all this) Thanks.

untouchableface

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 08:45:34 PM »
You could just plug your numbers into http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html  that will give you a rough idea.