Law School Discussion

Was it a mistake to take short breaks in between sections during practice?

Coming into the test, the only think I'm really worried about is that I gave myself a short break after every section in the 30+ tests that I have taken. It's been really hard for me to go straight to the next section because I find myself always drinking a water or energy drink during each section and that always make me want to go take a leak after the section. Also, I always feel like I need a breather to regroup before I start a new section. I finish each section on time, however (just right on time usually though).

Do you guys think this will be an issue for me come test day? I have taken one full-length practice test at my school and I did well on it despite feeling awkward going straight into the sections without a break.

Re: Was it a mistake to take short breaks in between sections during practice?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 01:42:10 PM »
Coming into the test, the only think I'm really worried about is that I gave myself a short break after every section in the 30+ tests that I have taken. It's been really hard for me to go straight to the next section because I find myself always drinking a water or energy drink during each section and that always make me want to go take a leak after the section. Also, I always feel like I need a breather to regroup before I start a new section. I finish each section on time, however (just right on time usually though).

Do you guys think this will be an issue for me come test day? I have taken one full-length practice test at my school and I did well on it despite feeling awkward going straight into the sections without a break.

If you have to take time to pee, it will hurt you.  But if that isn't an issue, you'll be okay.  I've noticed that the best test takers usually do better going straight through.  The first section is usually the worst, because they aren't yet in a rhythm, nor are they warmed up.  So other than the chance to go pee, I don't see how taking a break likely helped you so far.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:29:22 PM »
I would definitely try one test tomorrow with no breaks until after section 3. It is definitely different psychologically to have them say, "Stop Time ... Turn to the next section and begin working..." If necessary, I would even take a 20-30 break at the beginning of the next section if your mind gets cluttered. But I would try it once at home without the drink or the bathroom break ... it'll be worth knowing how it's gonna feel.

;)

iyl

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 03:28:19 PM »
I've always plowed through all 5 sections without breaks just to test my stamina. I'd take a few tests without breaks after every section just to see how you handle it. Cuz on test day, you can't exactly tell the proctor to hold on because you're not ready...

And you do know that drinks aren't allowed during the test, right? If your proctors are nice they'll make an exception for water, but don't count on it.