Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is sickness a good personal statement topic?  (Read 1828 times)

Victor

Is sickness a good personal statement topic?
« on: July 10, 2004, 04:57:25 PM »
?

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
Re: Is sickness a good personal statement topic?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 05:28:40 PM »
depends on how you use it...just remember, you DON'T want the admissions officer to feel sorry for you, or to think that's what you're going for.  you don't want pity, you want admiration and respect. 
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

buster

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 06:02:13 PM »
Are we talking about, like, the flu?  ;)

Victor

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 07:23:27 PM »
Ok, what about how life was in elementary school? I went to a school where the principal and teachers sold drugs.

And buster no im not talking about the flu I'm talking about a condition.

thinknpositive

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 07:27:47 PM »
sickness like, "check out that nollie, that was sickness!!" ??

shortbus

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 07:37:51 PM »
I would not write about a health condition.

buster

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 07:54:21 PM »
regarding the school -- really?

regarding the flu -- I was just kidding. I think this is one of those topics where you would have to be super-careful to emphasize how life with the sickness, or recovery from it, or whatever, impacts your candidacy as an applicant. You don't want to come across as looking for sympathy.

Ok, what about how life was in elementary school? I went to a school where the principal and teachers sold drugs.

Victor

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 07:57:08 PM »

regarding the flu -- I was just kidding. I think this is one of those topics where you would have to be super-careful to emphasize how life with the sickness, or recovery from it, or whatever, impacts your candidacy as an applicant. You don't want to come across as looking for sympathy.

regarding the school --- yeah, it was in the paper too, also it was a Christian school, do you think I should mention that?

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 08:02:06 PM »

regarding the school --- yeah, it was in the paper too, also it was a Christian school, do you think I should mention that?

does it relate to your sickness and did it have any direct impact on you? I wouldn't mention it if you can't illustrate that it had a big impact on u, and put u in a position where you were at a serious disadvantage-something u had to overcome.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

clora

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 11:16:58 PM »
Would law schools frown upon a candidate that may need to take extended leave of absence due to sickness?