Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: financial aid for internationals  (Read 1605 times)

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
financial aid for internationals
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:12:27 AM »
ahoy there -

i've been making indiscreet inquiries at schools that i'm considering applying to, regarding financial aid for international students.

in general, law schools seem to open up merit-based aid to internationals. here's a summary of what forms of aid international students are eligible for and where:

cardozo: merit and need-based
cooley: merit-based
michigan: merit-based (they have no need-based aid)
hofstra: merit-based scholarships, need-based private loans
george mason: merit-based

there are a bunch of other schools that haven't replied yet, and others that i haven't inquired at yet.i may post more summaries later, if i'm so inclined and if there's interest.
case '09

bakacanuck

• View Profile
Re: financial aid for internationals
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:27:49 AM »
i'm under the impression that need-based aid/loans are only available to US citizens. what exactly did Cardozo tell you?

i'd be interested in seeing a list of schools that give out full scholarships for applicants w very high lsats :P

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 12:43:51 PM »
the exact words of associate dean for admissions robert schwartz:

"international students are eligible for both need based and merit based institutional aid."

"i'd be interested in seeing a list of schools that give out full scholarships for applicants w very high lsats"

me too. if you want to make a buck, go gather all this information, and other financial aid practices of law schools, and publish a guide - i don't think it's been done.
case '09

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 08:30:21 PM »
So true.

In any case, BAFF.

People, contribute to this thread!  I'll post as I find out.

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 06:12:46 PM »
lots of schools offer free rides for candidates with high LSATs.

i got an offer of a free ride from baylor. and i got a 25K offer from quinnipiac, and possibly a free ride (decisions made in april). a bunch of other schools i applied to offer merit scholarships. miami and hofstra both give out full tuition scholarships, i think. santa clara does for sure - i spoke to admissions there a few days ago. valparaiso has a more than tuition merit award. seattle and u of washington have full tuition (seattle) and more than full tuition (UW) public interest awards.
case '09

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 06:19:23 PM »
Most of the 4th Tier schools in California give out full rides.  San Diego throws a lot of merit aid at applicants. 

I'll keep posting as I find out.

andydrew

• Just a Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 10:32:20 PM »
i'm under the impression that need-based aid/loans are only available to US citizens. what exactly did Cardozo tell you?

If FAFSA is what you refer to as "need-based" then yes, it is only available to US citizens.  But individual law schools, especially private school can give out need-based scholarships to international students as well.  Most graduate (Non-law) international students get something like assistantship (to teach or to research) and they get paid sometimes too.
Feb. 06 LSAT - University of Cincinnati Center

Liz507

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 07:36:11 PM »
I talked to Hofstra the other day- and other than merit-based, there is nothing available- no FAFSA, no loans from institution, no nothing.  The financial aid office at GW informed me that "we assume that if you apply as an international student you have the means to pay for it.  It's not our business"
So apparently I'm supposed to have 150K (US) in my backpocket.  I know one other person who went to NYU.  His parents took out a second mortgage on the house, and life insurance policy on the law student (so that if he got killed while going to law school they wouldn't be homeless.) 
I hate closed doors.  I tend to take it rather personally. 

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 07:51:15 PM »
Then you have to get a merit-based scholarship.   ;)

I understand your frustration, though.  My parents can't even pay for law school HERE.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 10:12:28 PM »
i visited cardozo today (overall impression: good). apparently there's a financial aid application for inernationals, in lieu of FAFSA. should be on their website.
case '09