Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Marking "other" for race/ethnicity  (Read 1516 times)

thronez98

• View Profile
Marking "other" for race/ethnicity
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:44:59 AM »
I am white...but...I am also a minority by the fact of my religion which is often used to describe the ethnicity of myself...should I mark "other" on the LSAC??

any opinions or experiencs with this

SCgrad

Re: Marking "other" for race/ethnicity
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 05:16:22 AM »
I would mark "White"  You can mention the other in a diversity statement if you think it is pertinent.

Slow Blues

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:00:06 AM »
I am white...but...I am also a minority by the fact of my religion which is often used to describe the ethnicity of myself...should I mark "other" on the LSAC??

any opinions or experiencs with this

I gather you're Jewish. I suppose you could mark 'Other' and write it in, but in my opinion, if you're not a traditional URM, this will confer no advantage to you.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:20:58 PM »
I would mark white.

thronez98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 05:08:32 PM »

[/quote]

I gather you're Jewish. I suppose you could mark 'Other' and write it in, but in my opinion, if you're not a traditional URM, this will confer no advantage to you.
[/quote]

that is correct....thanks for all the replies!!

one more quick question, the diversity statement...will that have much bearing? is it worth it to attach a sheet stating my other  "minority" status

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 05:15:11 PM »
I disagree with what most people obviously think.  Ethnicity is a part of identity, and identity is self-determined.  Mark what YOU feel honestly describes YOU. 

And do write a diversity statement, but not a one sentence/one paragraph statement saying "I'm Jewish," or anything of the kind.  Instead, tell what it means/meant for YOU to be Jewish.

thronez98

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 10:12:19 PM »
thanks all for your input it is truly helpful :)

what are the reprecussions of marking other...will it ever come back to haunt me? hurt me?

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:45:54 PM »

what are the reprecussions of marking other...will it ever come back to haunt me? hurt me?

Well, if they think you lied on your application, a school could revoke your acceptance and it may hurt you when you apply to your state's bar.

Slow Blues

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 08:34:37 AM »

You have a valid basis for marking 'other'. You were not doing it for personal gain but because 'white' did not, in your opinion, appropriately capture your Jewish identity. So I sincerely doubt it will come back to bite you in the butt.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 11:03:30 AM »
I agree.  Either white or other (or not marking anything--perhaps you don't think being an other is a valid descriptor of a person) will make sense for a Jewish applicant.  And then, coupled with your essay, which makes specific which "other" you identify with, there is no way they could think you were being misleading.  And being misleading is the only way that checking a box can hurt you.