Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: African-American Heritage  (Read 2220 times)

flecktone

• View Profile
Re: African-American Heritage
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 12:04:01 PM »
I agree that the "Native Americans" suffered unspeakable hardships at the hands of the Europeans, and my point does not intend to mitigate this.  I was merely pointing out that the term "native American" is a misnomer because by definition a native is one who belongs to a certain country by birth.  Hence, someone who was born in Ireland is native Irish and naturalized American.  The people who were living here when the Europeans discovered them were native to the land but so was and is every generation that followed. 

Derecho_Girl

• Most wanted
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 01:17:50 PM »
I guess they are "American Indian" as opposed to Native American.

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 06:37:20 PM »
Lydia, you made me smile!!   :D

Even though there are a whole mess 'o Republicans down here, not all Texans back Bush.  I would never want Bush back in Texas, though the current governor is coming off more corrupt than Jimmy Hoffa!! ::)

All I know is, I love your new sig!  ;)
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 07:05:42 PM »
good stuff lydia
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Rui

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 12:48:14 AM »
Ladyday
"and in an attempt to integrate and assimilate into the "popular" culture many blacks denied themselves and their children their own african heritage hoping, i guess to put it into the simpliest terms: to be accepted by the white dominate culture", I'm a History/Polsci major (african studies concentration) and although thats not completely true it does have some basis. What you tended to find was africans taken from the same region (usually) ended up in the same area in the Americas. You have to understand that profit was the leading push behind slavery, so what you tended to find was (for example) a dutch company would set up trade routes between one or two ports in Africa with a specific port in the americas (lets saySouth Carolina), so what many researchers have found is a concentration of africans from certain regions in specific parts of the americas during slavery (that is from the limited data available). But you were correct to point out that once they were here the treatment recieved gave them little chance to keep their cultural identity....although we do have remnants, especially in music (and I don't mean rap)....

If your interested on info on the African diaspora check out this columbia page...

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/indiv/africa/cuvl/diaspora.html

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 06:26:40 PM »
Many do not see sicilians, technically, as white. Most are caucasion in appearance but with a rather dark complexion.  Sicily is an island in close proximity to the North African Continent. The people there are a mix of European, African, Asian and also probably a little Semetic.

Another aside.  I have a book on my shelf waiting for me to read about what white meant in America and how it changed over the years.  Originally, Irish, Italians, Slavs and others whom we think of as white were not considered white.  There was a case of a black man in Georgia on trial for violating the racial marriage laws.  He had married a white woman.  He was acquitted when they proved that his wife was Sicilian.

losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 06:48:25 PM »
Ladyday
"and in an attempt to integrate and assimilate into the "popular" culture many blacks denied themselves and their children their own african heritage hoping, i guess to put it into the simpliest terms: to be accepted by the white dominate culture", I'm a History/Polsci major (african studies concentration) and although thats not completely true it does have some basis. What you tended to find was africans taken from the same region (usually) ended up in the same area in the Americas. You have to understand that profit was the leading push behind slavery, so what you tended to find was (for example) a dutch company would set up trade routes between one or two ports in Africa with a specific port in the americas (lets saySouth Carolina), so what many researchers have found is a concentration of africans from certain regions in specific parts of the americas during slavery (that is from the limited data available). But you were correct to point out that once they were here the treatment recieved gave them little chance to keep their cultural identity....although we do have remnants, especially in music (and I don't mean rap)....

If your interested on info on the African diaspora check out this columbia page...

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/indiv/africa/cuvl/diaspora.html

hi. seriously not trying to get smart with you, but I'm really confused. I'm not exactly sure if u took issue with my post or what it is exactly that you are trying to tell me b/c I'm well aware of the statements that you made.  actually It might be better to take this to the BLSD. haven't seen you there? I could be wrong though.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 07:18:01 PM »
You can't bring up music. The rythms and cadenses are distant echoes of a culture forgotten.

Just because your from a certain region does not mean your from the same tribe.Everything could be different: rituals, religous practices, even deities. This would give someone a different cultural identity.

Where did you study African Studies?
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.