Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are the scenes like at the T14?  (Read 3733 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are the scenes like at the T14?
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2006, 06:18:26 PM »
3 months later . . . .

First off, I went to UVA undergrad and my wife is a PhD candidate at UChicago (I also lived in the close-in DC burbs for 3 and 1/2 years after undergrad.  The U of C scene is not fun - there are 3 bars, all of which are pretty lame and dominated by hard-core intellectuals in thick, dark-rimmed glasses.  I've met some really nice people here, but not so fun.  I lived in Hyde Park for 9 months; I've been on the North side for a year and a half now, which is much more fun than DC, but it's a serious hike from Hyde Park.

UVA is fun.  I was in a Jewish fraternity (ZBT), so we probably had a disproportionate share of New Yorkers, but there was a great friendly north-south rivalry there.  Charlottesville is a great mid-sized town with clearly delineated bar scenes for undergrads (the corner) and grads/yuppies (downtown mall).  Although it's in rural VA, it's a different world; I grew up in Waynesboro, which is half an hour west of Charlottesville but a world away culturally.  UVA law especially is a national school - you won't feel out of place as a southerner.

I'm just hoping I have the UVA option - it's my #1 choice easily over U of C (and I have a couple connections here, so I might have a shot).  Good luck - you can't go too wrong.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

tsol

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2006, 08:09:44 PM »
I don't know for sure, but at the little Preview Day thing at Penn, the tour of both the Law School and the campus (by two different people) definitely focused more on where to go out than the buildings, which seems to bode well, I think...

Leshy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2006, 12:14:24 AM »
baff

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 01:01:50 AM »
should I expect the same for northwestern?

I've never been to chicago, so I don't know a whole lot. but I've heard that uchicago is in the ghetto and nu is in the nicer part of chicago. does that make a difference in social scenes?

3 months later . . . .

First off, I went to UVA undergrad and my wife is a PhD candidate at UChicago (I also lived in the close-in DC burbs for 3 and 1/2 years after undergrad.  The U of C scene is not fun - there are 3 bars, all of which are pretty lame and dominated by hard-core intellectuals in thick, dark-rimmed glasses.  I've met some really nice people here, but not so fun.  I lived in Hyde Park for 9 months; I've been on the North side for a year and a half now, which is much more fun than DC, but it's a serious hike from Hyde Park.

UVA is fun.  I was in a Jewish fraternity (ZBT), so we probably had a disproportionate share of New Yorkers, but there was a great friendly north-south rivalry there.  Charlottesville is a great mid-sized town with clearly delineated bar scenes for undergrads (the corner) and grads/yuppies (downtown mall).  Although it's in rural VA, it's a different world; I grew up in Waynesboro (1/2 hour west of UVA), and THAT town is redneck.  UVA law especially is a national school - you won't feel out of place as a southerner.

I'm just hoping I have the UVA option - it's my #1 choice easily over U of C (and I have a couple connections here, so I might have a shot).  Good luck - you can't go too wrong.

WinnieCooper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2006, 11:03:08 AM »
UChicago and Northwestern Law are not that far apart.  UChicago is in Hyde Park, and while it is near some sketchy neighborhoods (it's in the South Side), Hyde Park itself is a nice neighborhood. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park%2C_Chicago

Northwestern Law is on the North Side, right on Lake Michigan, on Lake Shore Drive, which is very near to the touristy, expensive Magnificent Mile.  Not many people actually live there.  It's more shopping and office buildings.  The neighborhood it's in is called Streeterville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_North_Side%2C_Chicago#Streeterville

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2006, 12:07:12 PM »
From what everyone has said, it sounds like the you have more free time, a more laid back atmosphere, and generally more fun at the T14 schools. I know BU isn't T14, but i'm considering going out there from CA so does anybody care to comment on the lifestyle/atmosphere at that school? Thanks!

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2006, 12:24:06 PM »
thanks! i did notice that their avg. age of entry (from princeton review) was lower than most (23) which is great for me since im 20. I really wonder why that is though... any idea from talking to your roomate how competitive the students are?

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2006, 12:32:49 PM »
Lol! that is really weird. From what i hear so far i think they're gona be adding one more from CA!

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »
UChicago and Northwestern Law are not that far apart.  UChicago is in Hyde Park, and while it is near some sketchy neighborhoods (it's in the South Side), Hyde Park itself is a nice neighborhood. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park%2C_Chicago

Northwestern Law is on the North Side, right on Lake Michigan, on Lake Shore Drive, which is very near to the touristy, expensive Magnificent Mile.  Not many people actually live there.  It's more shopping and office buildings.  The neighborhood it's in is called Streeterville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_North_Side%2C_Chicago#Streeterville

I was totally ready to bust on you when I saw you were quoting Wikipedia, but your points are, for the most part, completely valid.  The few points I contend:

1) Hyde Park, after dark, is sketchy.  I actually lived there for 9 months, had my car broken into when nothing valuable was in view, and numerous friends and acquaintences of mine have been mugged.  There certainly are some nice areas - Louis Farrakhan's house is there, amidst a few blocks of million-dollar homes - but the majority of it isn't that gentrified (I know people have mixed feelings about this).  The main problem is that it's an island in a massive sea of ghetto, and where you have even a mildly affluent area in the midst of a ghetto, it attracts economically driven crime.  What would you rather do - rob your local liquor store and possibly get shot doing it, or pick off an easy U of C student target?  Crime is not rampant, but it's MUCH more of an issue than in the Northwestern neighborhood.

2) People do live in the Northwestern area, although most of them are extremely wealthy, and the area isn't a typical Chicago neighborhood (although most neighborhoods are quite different, not sure if there really is one "typical" neighborhood).  But there are some nice local bars in the area; not everywhere is touristy.  A friend of mine at NU Law says that every Thursday night they do a "bar review" at a different bar in the area.  Living there would be more expensive, but it has any kind of scene you're looking for; Hyde park is much more limited.

3) Although as the crow flies the two schools aren't that far apart, logistically there's great distance between them.  Parking in either area (particularly Streeterville) is either difficult, expensive or both.  Public transportation to Hyde park usually involves either multiple buses, a bus and a train, or a bus and a lot of walking.  Taxis from Hyde Park are expensive.  Considering how your time will be at a premium during law school, you're not likely to see much of the north side if you go to UChicago law. 

Also, although this was not addressed in the wikipost, the scene at UChicago is much more intellectual, at Northwestern, more pre-professional.  I'm sure there are some brilliant professors at NU, but as far as the type of students go, I think my assessment is generally accurate.  There are certainly positives and negatives associated with each.  If I could choose between a free ride to either, I'd take UChicago in a heartbeat - but certainly not for the neighborhood.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .