Law School Discussion

LSAT correlation to Law school performance

Re: LSAT correlation to Law school performance
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 09:59:47 AM »
http://powerscore.com/lsat/help/salary.htm

I don't think this is really saying much because IMO, these salary differentials are based much more on the reputation and prestige of the school than they are about the LSAT.  It also doesn't say much about the individual.  For instance, even if someone did have a 180 from Cooley and finished #1 in their class they would have extreme difficulty getting the same job of someone who finished #1 at Georgetown.

lsat > school > job > salary

correlation ^^^

But, you're making the assumption that because someone gets a given LSAT Score they will go to the best school they can get into with that score, which is not always the case.  Also, you're not taking into account splitters.  What about those applicants with high lsats and extremely low gpas.  They will most likely not end up at the school that their LSAT score would lead them to otherwise.

bulk

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 10:05:09 AM »
you're making the assumption that im serious.   ;D

dont take anything i say seriously.  not even that last sentence.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 10:08:22 AM »
you're making the assumption that im serious.   ;D

dont take anything i say seriously.  not even that last sentence.

lol, ok

verbal

• AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 10:09:46 AM »
i havent seen any real studies about the lsat but i have read numerous times that the SAT is almost a perfect indicator of college performance. i thought it was pretty interesting.

bulk

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 01:22:44 PM »
surprisingly for a "Vapid" Unicorn, you speak hard things me no understand

i wont understand mathematical correlation.  i was once a math prodigy, but the drugs i od'ed on changed that.   :'(

bulk

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 01:36:02 PM »
LSAC has loads of research, but these two seemed most relevant:

http://www.lsacnet.org/research/Predictive-Validity-of-LSAT-Summary-Correlation-Studies-ES.htm

http://www.lsacnet.org/research/Utility-of-LSAT-Scores-and_UGPA-for-Predicting-Academic-Sucess-in-Law-School-ES.htm

Call me crazy, but I'm always a bit skeptical of studies that are paid for by LSAC and/or are conducted by former LSAC employees.  I'll need more time to look over them before I say anything else, though.

Quote from: verbal
i havent seen any real studies about the lsat but i have read numerous times that the SAT is almost a perfect indicator of college performance. i thought it was pretty interesting.

Not quite.  The SAT is almost perfectly correlated with the student's family's SES. SES is the strongest indicator of college performance, but it's still pretty shaky; it looks like students who are self-directed and used to independence (i.e., kids from boarding schools) do the best simply because they're already used to the environment.

ive heard that is the only correlation that can be found in students sat scores.

Slow Blues

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 01:47:21 PM »

i wont understand mathematical correlation.  i was once a math prodigy, but the drugs i od'ed on changed that.   :'(

I think what Vapid is saying is that even where there is a strong correlation (and LSAT/GPA is very predictive of 1L success), it only takes a few outliers (i.e. the person that tested poorly on the LSAT but aces their law school classes, or the 180 scorer who developed a drug habit during 1L) to blow up any hypothesis you might have drawn.

So, a correlation number may seem low but can actually be extremely predictive. And even what seems like a major difference between two numbers of correlation may actually mean very little in terms of predictive ability.

Did that help? ???

bulk

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 01:55:39 PM »

I think what Vapid is saying is that even where there is a strong correlation (and LSAT/GPA is very predictive of 1L success), it only takes a few outliers (i.e. the person that tested poorly on the LSAT but aces their law school classes, or the 180 scorer who developed a drug habit during 1L) to blow up any hypothesis you might have drawn.

So, a correlation number may seem low but can actually be extremely predictive. And even what seems like a major difference between two numbers of correlation may actually mean very little in terms of predictive ability.

Did that help? ???

thank you so much.  i thought thats what it was but the numbers man, the numbers.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 02:09:27 PM »
Man, this conversation is making me want to go pick up my stats books again and refresh my memory.

I hated stats until I got into graduate school, then all of a sudden... it made sense!

bulk

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 02:10:52 PM »
Man, this conversation is making me want to go pick up my stats books again and refresh my memory.

I hated stats until I got into graduate school, then all of a sudden... it made sense!

that happens to 1 in 3 statistics students.