Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Appearance  (Read 4821 times)

Todd

• View Profile
Appearance
« on: July 10, 2004, 01:46:08 PM »
So I hear appearance is very important.  The question is how important is it in law school?  I don't intend to be the guy wearing a 3-piece suit to class, but then I don't want to have people thinking I'm a knob for wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt.  I suppose I could wait till class starts to decided how casual I can go, but then I won't have time to go out and buy clothes (ya I shop once a year if I really think it's necessary).

Ginatio

Re: Appearance
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 01:50:37 PM »
Grading is entirely anonymous, therefore I don't care what the professor thinks about how I present myself. I'm going to stick to my college attire and dress casually in shirts and jeans

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 01:58:07 PM »
I would think shirts and jeans would be quite typical of the law school classroom, would it not?

veritas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 02:04:16 PM »
I figure the first few weeks people will put effort in and dress nicely.  Then when they figure out it doesn't matter, everyone will resort back to shorts, flip-flops, hoodies and et cetera. 

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 02:08:08 PM »
I'm more with the tanktop and black tennis shoes.  Got me a coupla toos, too. 8)

dta

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 02:12:36 PM »
shorts & t-shirt here. Who could wear anything more in Texas during September?

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 05:14:36 PM »
Grading is entirely anonymous, therefore I don't care what the professor thinks about how I present myself. I'm going to stick to my college attire and dress casually in shirts and jeans

Don't be misled by what you may have heard.  Grading on exams is entirely anonymous; however, a professor can use some discretion in grading for a course.  I heard this from three 3L's.  That's why things like (despite what PLS II says) class participation, and yes, appearance can possibly bump a course grade up or down.  I believe in the old adage, dress appropriately but "dress for success."  We're all grown ups now.  IMHO, a student wearing shorts and flip flops to class just doesn't look serious.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 06:11:23 PM »
i hear that standard garb for women is a cocktail dress w/heels so that's what i'll be wearing the first day of class. Those girls who show up in jeans and khakis are gonna feel really stupid and outta place. I already feel kinda sorry for them.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 06:17:07 PM »
Yes, that's a good idea. Let's all rush to conform.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 06:24:22 PM »
Yes, that's a good idea. Let's all rush to conform.

i can't tell if ur being serious or not
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.